• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Toxicity

Only in California. :rolleyes:

One can only speculate on what form of "science" such lists are based. I'm inclined to believe they are the result of questionnaires sent to people, with no attempt to control the return based on response level or to note people with multiple sensitivities other than wood. A sneeze is sometimes just a sneeze.

Certainly there are a bunch of chemicals in wood to which many develop a sensitivity, but I suspect that the absolute danger of poorly cooked chicken entrees, an item currently in the news, is more critical.

Last edited:
toxicity

Michael has a real good point. Take things with a grain of salt. Water in excess is also toxic (Imbibing, not snorting at the bottom of the lake!!!) Gretch

Only in California. :rolleyes:
One can only speculate on what form of "science" such lists are based.

I agree, MM. The first variety listed, Bald Cypress, produces dust to which the respiratory system is sensitive. That could be said of anything that produces dust particles. I appreciate having these kinds of data bases available but, as I typically do, I bounce the information off of several authenticated sources before making changes in the way I work.
That said, I believe your words were, paraphrastically speaking, that those who don't use filtering systems are the filtering system. I've never forgotten the wisdom in that statement.

Can't take credit for that. I'm a collection/barrier guy myself. That's for the dust. The volatiles can get to you faster than the dust, and they get there unless you use some sort of adsorption filter.

I suspect that the majority of reactions are dermatological, and see no real way around that save turning in a wind tunnel.

I'm glad to see so many like minded folks

I didn't believe a lot of what was on the list, having worked with many of them, having bad allergies and asthma and having no reaction.

Anything in huge quantities is probably not good and certainly inhaling sanding dust should be avoided, it is only common sense.

Many folks are sensitive to Cocobolo, I have no issues with it. Someone in our group turned a peppermill out of Bolivian Rosewood and almost died from it.

Try it once, wear protection and see how it goes.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Toxicity is relative and varies by type.....

You can see 5 references on wood toxicity compiled here:

http://rwallace.public.iastate.edu/WTlinks.html#Processing-Toxic-Woods

It seems that most web sites I've referenced on this topic continually recycle the same information. I am slowly working on a revised and improved list with more botanical information and if possible medical references (via PubMed) on aspects of wood toxicity. However, getting actual documented references on toxicological and immunological data is quite difficult and in most cases, elusive.

The distinction must be made between health effects created by particulate respiratory insult, separate from those chemical toxins that can elicit responses like contact dermatitis. All fine particulates could be considered "toxic" if allowed to be inhaled and breathed-in all the way to the smallest alveoli.... there are many industrial standards out there for equipment to protect against air-suspended wood particulates, from whatever species.

Chemical compounds found in the wood which interact with body tissues that elicit a physical reaction in response to a direct chemical insult are truly toxic, and are found in various species. These can be through direct contact with wood or dust, or through volatilized compounds resulting from heating or cutting processes. For example, compounds found in the true rosewoods (genus Dalbergia; family Fabaceae) which are sensitizing quinones, a class of neoflavanoids called dalbergiones can be considered chemically toxic, or the well-known compounds found in some species in the cashew family (Anacardiaceae) including poison ivy and poison oak (containing urushiol). These are "actual" (chemically) toxic species.

Another class of 'toxins' are the proteins associated with things like spalted wood - fungal proteins. While these in themselves are not directly toxic per se (in the sense of a chemical poison, or the highly toxic aflatoxins), they can easily sensitize individuals to elicit immune responses of different degrees. Some of these responses can be mild, or can include the very serious and extreme condition of anaphylaxis. This 'toxicity' is dependent on the individual's immune system, and is often developed through sensitization over time.

Thus, toxicity is relative, and (in my opinion) there has not yet been a good compilation of this information presented from documented sources that can be used as a single good reference. The safe thing to do is consider all wood species "toxic" until documented or proven otherwise. Although dried hard maple is not likely to be chemically or immunologically toxic (we use it for cooking utensils and cutting boards), inhaling fine maple dust can elicit responses from the body that still are considered a physical respiratory insult, and can contribute to long-term health problems.

Question - I'd like to know if this would be a good topic to write an article on for American Woodturner.... would people read such an article, even if the "technical" information would be included?

I hope this helps folks understand the topic of 'wood toxicity' a little better....

(Prof.) Rob Wallace

Last edited:
Website
www.velvitoil.com
Rob, it would be a wonderful topic for the Journal. I am always interested in anything about wood. It would be great to have a reference that is easy to access and is based on reliable information. In fact, the topic would possibly be a good for a series of articles.

Rob,

Barbara is spot on, a series of articles perhaps starting with domestic lumber, green and dry would make fascinating and informative reading. It is a subject novice to codger could benefit from.

It's very likely that woods that don't bother some bother others. Also it's seems likely to me that individual reactions to some woods may come about after repeated exposure. I worked for years with color film processing chemicals and we were all aware of the fact that over time, resistance to the chemicals broke down leaving workers with bad reactions to them.

Today there are excellent filtering devices that prevent breathing of the dust produced while turning. In addition to an air cleaning system in my shop, I wear a pressurized filtered hood. A number of these are on the market. Breathing wood dust is a bad idea. Even worse is the grit from modern high speed grinders. The pressurized hood can be worn while using them.

Malcolm Smith.

Back