• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood turners/galleries in Hokkaido?

Can anyone point me in the direction of these?

I'll be in Sapporo, Niseko and Furano in Feb. and have by chance identified the craft/artisan district in Furano but not speaking Japanese the others elude me.

Best bet would be to contact the Japan chapter of AAW:

Go to https://www.woodturner.org/

Select [Find a Chapter] from the left-hand menu to get to a new page.

Select [Japan] in the search box. Should have some contact information, possibly in English. By February, you might even learn some Japanese.;)

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks Joe.

A Tokyo based chapter shows up.

Its website bulletin board is all Japanese except for 'Stuart Ablett' ... one of the forum members here I think.

Yes, boning up on the language will help. 'Sapporo?' said in a bar will be a good start ;)

If I'm not mistaken (entirely possible), Stu also participates on another forum where we both do. A PM from here or there could be a shoehorn into your search. What we used to call "networking."

Best of luck, and have a good trip.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks Joe.

Yes, your memory is fine :)

We haven't heard much from him Down under for a while.

Will wait to see what other fishes this net produces and then try Stu direct.

Contact in Japan

Ern - I sent a message (with cc to your personal email) to an associate of mine in Japan, who should be able to help you. If that doesn't result in a response, I have a few others that should be willing to help. Japan is a great place with wonderful people. You will enjoy your visit!!

Jerry

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Its website bulletin board is all Japanese except for 'Stuart Ablett' ... one of the forum members here I think.

He posts (in a number of places) as Stu in Tokyo

But I haven't seen anything from him in some time and have a vague recollection that he was moving state-side. But I can't recall if that was future or past tense.

But try here

Back