• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood turning, Deepak Chopra style

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
This is my new wood turning inspired by some of the thoughts of Deepak Chopra:

zenturning.jpg

Since nothing really exists, merely contemplating the turning brings it into existence.

"And this is exactly what scientists are beginning to see. Scientists are beginning to see that it is not thoughts which are a product of molecules, but in fact molecules are structured out of fluctuations of information in a field of infinite information. That it is consciousness which is the phenomenon and matter which is the epi-phenomenon. It is consciousness which conceives, governs, constructs and actually becomes physical matter." - Deepak Chopra

Just horsing around. But he does have a point (like the one on my head I guess) :)

you could be in training to a shaman

Dude, you may think that is a turned bowl, but to my eyes (and mind) it's just a chain-sawed piece of a tree trunk.

So, Effendi, two questions:

a. Whose "thought" controls here? and
b. What are you smokin' and where can I get some?:D:D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Dude, you may think that is a turned bowl, but to my eyes (and mind) it's just a chain-sawed piece of a tree trunk.

Gee Mark, no need to get "Effensive" :D:D

Just high on life. Seriously.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058

"It is consciousness which conceives, governs, constructs and actually becomes physical matter." - Deepak Chopra
Don’t we all envision what is “in†a piece of wood before we begin? Doesn’t this support Chopra’s thought? Without our unique consciousness none of us could make anything. Mark M., if you truly allow the piece of tree trunk to enter your consciousness, you will likely “see†something different than your first observation. Perhaps you will, like Mark H., “see" a bowl or maybe you will “see" the heat given by burning or a weapon for killing. It is the experiences of our consciousness that brings the physical matter to use.

I also submit that a bowl is universally comprehended to be a bowl because of prehistoric consciousness. The person’s conscious who envisioned and utilized or constructed the first bowl-like vessel is the consciousness everyone adheres to today. It is a universal acceptance of another’s consciousness.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
"It is consciousness which conceives, governs, constructs and actually becomes physical matter." - Deepak Chopra
Don’t we all envision what is “in†a piece of wood before we begin? Doesn’t this support Chopra’s thought? Without our unique consciousness none of us could make anything. Mark M., if you truly allow the piece of tree trunk to enter your consciousness, you will likely “see†something different than your first observation. Perhaps you will, like Mark H., “see" a bowl or maybe you will “see" the heat given by burning or a weapon for killing. It is the experiences of our consciousness that brings the physical matter to use.

I also submit that a bowl is universally comprehended to be a bowl because of prehistoric consciousness. The person’s conscious who envisioned and utilized or constructed the first bowl-like vessel is the consciousness everyone adheres to today. It is a universal acceptance of another’s consciousness.

Owen,

I think we have found The real Zen master here :)

Not making light of your comments, because there is to my mind a lot to validate Chopra's comments. Indeed, the current state of physics (and remember here, I'm a food guy, not a physicist) points to the fact that matter doesn't exist as we understand it.

I think that is part of what Chopra refers to. I'm not an adherent but interested. I heard him on an episode of "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!". He said that "nothing exists anyway" so the outcome of the game didn't matter.

But what this has to do with turning is beyond me. Who started this stupid thread anyway! :D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
If Deepak Chopra falls in the forest, is there any information (... or does it "matter")?

Neither he nor the forest exist. Falling is an illusion. But it is only the information that exists.

Of course, this is a "matter" of opinion. I could be wrong.

Ah, interesting. However the first "bowls" were not "made" by our hunter-gather Alley Opp ancestors, being instead broken pieces of gourd which were "discovered" for their utility and then copied in more durable materials as the ability to do so developed. Doesn't take much in the way of intelligence, let alone some sort of metaphysical consciousness, to figure out it's easier to get a drink of water with the piece of gourd rather than with just a "cupped" hand, and way better than sticking you face in the pond where something might just bite it off. Once homo sapiens "discover" something, we tend to hang on to the knowledge until something better comes along. That's mere transmission of acquired knowledge, not a transfer of consciousness.

Then too, I do not practice the old stone cutter's saw of "taking away everything that's not the (whatever)". I use the material to make what I wish. I don't choose a piece of wood to specially fit the idea, nor do I try to "see" the piece inside the wood. Within the limitations on size, I can use any piece of wood to make any given shape. That said, I do respond to the wood as work progresses, and remain open to design changes depending on what I "find" in the process. My approach to design is essential additive, being that of a modeler, rather than subtractive, as does a carver.

I doubt the proposition of a prehistoric consciousness passed down through the eons like, perhaps, our fear of stuff that goes bump! in the night. The bowl form is simply utilitarian to hold something else. Its utility is self evident and needs nothing in the way of genetic memory for that quality to be recognized and used. Same goes for a jar ("hollowform" in gallery Art-speak). As an end-grain hollower, I make a cylinder, often to just see what I've got to work with in the way of special grain, etm. It's not rare for me the make that cylinder with a consciously blank mind regarding a shape-goal, and, instead, let the revealed material spark my idea.

Ommmmmmmmmm ;)

Neither he nor the forest exist. Falling is an illusion. But it is only the information that exists.

Basic principal of evidence is that there are many ways to prove that something exists, but it's impossible to prove that it doesn't.;)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ah, interesting. However the first "bowls" were not "made" by our hunter-gather Alley Opp ancestors, being instead broken pieces of gourd which were "discovered" for their utility and then copied in more durable materials as the ability to do so developed. Doesn't take much in the way of intelligence, let alone some sort of metaphysical consciousness, to figure out it's easier to get a drink of water with the piece of gourd rather than with just a "cupped" hand, and way better than sticking you face in the pond where something might just bite it off. Once homo sapiens "discover" something, we tend to hang on to the knowledge until something better comes along. That's mere transmission of acquired knowledge, not a transfer of consciousness. Then too, I do not practice the old stone cutter's saw of "taking away everything that's not the (whatever)". ;)

One of the most interesting bowls I have seen was in the cooper museum in New York State.
Bark from half a log tied on the ends to bunch it up.
Probably took 7 minutes to make it and it still looked like it would hold soup.

Al

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
One of the most interesting bowls I have seen was in the cooper museum in New York State.

Al

If soup existed, you mean? :)

Al

Might have been to make soup. You put you makings in the bark "pot" then drop in hot stones from the fire. You couldn't put the pot in the fire, but you could put the "fire" in the pot without destroying it. Doesn't take more than 2-3 nice hot stones and you've hot soup on a cold day! :D

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My bad ... I thought Deepak Chopra had to do with string theory.

So, youse guys are just stringin' me along, eh?

So's maybe dat kinda means like maybe my information didn't exist either, maybe. Capiche? Maybe like nuttin' exists ... specially youse pretend like bowl ... jess sayin'.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
So, youse guys are just stringin' me along, eh?

So's maybe dat kinda means like maybe my information didn't exist either, maybe. Capiche? Maybe like nuttin' exists ... specially youse pretend like bowl ... jess sayin'.

Hey Bill, are you "Hawking" string theory here? :D

For Further Reading

Try Frank Herbert's "Man of Two Worlds" Earth and every thing on it is but a manifested dream of another species.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Try Frank Herbert's "Man of Two Worlds" Earth and every thing on it is but a manifested dream of another species.

Never read that one. Loved the original Dune trilogy and read it over several times (a good while back). I think I will read that one. You might like Whipping Star if you haven't already read it.

Hard to believe that so many of these authors are still even now centuries ahead of their time, and they're 50 years in the rearview.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
I find threads like this very interesting in that they point to the foundation of the creative process. We dont have to know or agree with any ideas put forth with any of this. Many years ago a fellow named Manjit Sing i think out of Singapore got a bit miffed with some students as I guess he felt they were getting way to esoteric. He told them as long as you live here you have to eat rice.I guess a few of them had heard you can live just on air. Now I dont think it matters what the process you use to make something is. Or what if anything you may ponder the process any deeper than you are going to make something. You can thank some higher being so to speak or take ownership of your individual process for making something. When you pick up that piece of wood or walk by it every day for years gears clik. You can think its just a surface mind kind of clik or ponder the multi level of the process like Deepak proposes. The end result of each of us making something is the goal. How it happens really does not matter except to those it does. For those that have no choice but to make I have found most of them are ponderers of the creative process. Speaking of that, time to go turn on the lathe and get with it for the day.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I find threads like this very interesting in that they point to the foundation of the creative process. We dont have to know or agree with any ideas put forth with any of this. Many years ago a fellow named Manjit Sing i think out of Singapore got a bit miffed with some students as I guess he felt they were getting way to esoteric. He told them as long as you live here you have to eat rice.I guess a few of them had heard you can live just on air. Now I dont think it matters what the process you use to make something is. Or what if anything you may ponder the process any deeper than you are going to make something. You can thank some higher being so to speak or take ownership of your individual process for making something. When you pick up that piece of wood or walk by it every day for years gears clik. You can think its just a surface mind kind of clik or ponder the multi level of the process like Deepak proposes. The end result of each of us making something is the goal. How it happens really does not matter except to those it does. For those that have no choice but to make I have found most of them are ponderers of the creative process. Speaking of that, time to go turn on the lathe and get with it for the day.

I'm with you Kelly (although we eat an awful lot of rice down here). I know it was kind of a dumb thread but thought it would be good to go outside the norm and have some fun. And I find that most of the folks on this site are ponderers of that creative process. I'm sure that's a big driver in turning in the first place and probably most of us are of an age where we're a bit more inward looking.

Speaking of looking at a piece of wood every day, that's what I've been doing with the piece in the photo I posted. Looking at it and waiting for an idea.

Time to get on the lathe. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of bathroom remodel. finished gutting it and framing out a shower/tub enclosure for a tile job this weekend. Fun stuff. Good thing that the 70 sq/ft of tile doesn't really exist!:)

wax on the car....in this heat....I check each day to see how much red mud on car from mud dobbers.....this heat has brought them out this year

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
wax on the car....in this heat....I check each day to see how much red mud on car from mud dobbers.....this heat has brought them out this year

You got that right Charlie. They're everywhere. And sand flies and mosquitoes. And I will concede that they do exist :D

The bark bowl that was described was used for picking berries, etc. by the woodland tribes and early pioneers. I have a magazine from the Friends of the Smoky Mountain National Park. There is a brief history of them and how to make them. There are a couple of crafters who give lessons on making the bark bowls or buckets. I guess that was before Rubbermaid. :p
Edit- To follow Descartes' idea: I turn, therefore, I am.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This is my new wood turning inspired by some of the thoughts of Deepak Chopra:

View attachment 7692

Since nothing really exists, merely contemplating the turning brings it into existence.

"And this is exactly what scientists are beginning to see. Scientists are beginning to see that it is not thoughts which are a product of molecules, but in fact molecules are structured out of fluctuations of information in a field of infinite information. That it is consciousness which is the phenomenon and matter which is the epi-phenomenon. It is consciousness which conceives, governs, constructs and actually becomes physical matter." - Deepak Chopra

Just horsing around. But he does have a point (like the one on my head I guess) :)

I seem to recall a book, or story about 30 years ago about a man with a pointy head.....think it was called "the point".....Since you mentioned it, maybe you know it! :p

Yeah, I know you are just having fun, Mark...........but, when I read your first post, it reminded me that most of us envision a bowl (or whatever) with each block of wood we bring to the lathe. I find that vision is seldom the same as what the block turns out in final form. Seems it's more true with wood that has more interesting qualities, than with the lesser, more plain wood. It also seems to be more true with wood that needs more seasoning, than those that need little or no seasoning.

.......Or, maybe I'm totally off base, and most other turners bring their own "vision" to reality, when I do not......:rolleyes:

OK, carry on........:D

ooc

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
The bark bowl that was described was used for picking berries, etc. by the woodland tribes and early pioneers. I have a magazine from the Friends of the Smoky Mountain National Park. There is a brief history of them and how to make them. There are a couple of crafters who give lessons on making the bark bowls or buckets. I guess that was before Rubbermaid. :p
Edit- To follow Descartes' idea: I turn, therefore, I am.

John, thanks for the info. I was trying to envision that bark bowl and googled it. All I could find was Rubbermaid!

:D

I think Descartes might have been a quantum guy if he were around today. :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
My approach to design is essential additive, being that of a modeler, rather than subtractive, as does a carver.

I doubt the proposition of a prehistoric consciousness passed down through the eons like, perhaps, our fear of stuff that goes bump! in the night. The bowl form is simply utilitarian to hold something else. Its utility is self evident and needs nothing in the way of genetic memory for that quality to be recognized and used. Same goes for a jar ("hollowform" in gallery Art-speak). As an end-grain hollower, I make a cylinder, often to just see what I've got to work with in the way of special grain, etm. It's not rare for me the make that cylinder with a consciously blank mind regarding a shape-goal, and, instead, let the revealed material spark my idea.

Ommmmmmmmmm ;)

Mark, for me the "blank mind" method is like a second skin. Just ask anyone who knows me. :

But seriously, reflecting on your comments, I agree that in my case it is a additive approach as well. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I am drawn to segmented work. Although I haven't done much of it, I enjoy the process from conception to finishing.

And to quote Garfield (or President Taft)::):) yummmmmmmm

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I seem to recall a book, or story about 30 years ago about a man with a pointy head.....think it was called "the point".....Since you mentioned it, maybe you know it! :p

Yeah, I know you are just having fun, Mark...........but, when I read your first post, it reminded me that most of us envision a bowl (or whatever) with each block of wood we bring to the lathe. I find that vision is seldom the same as what the block turns out in final form. Seems it's more true with wood that has more interesting qualities, than with the lesser, more plain wood. It also seems to be more true with wood that needs more seasoning, than those that need little or no seasoning.

.......Or, maybe I'm totally off base, and most other turners bring their own "vision" to reality, when I do not......:rolleyes:

OK, carry on........:D

ooc

Odie, I totally get that. Almost Nothing comes off my lathe as I had planned!

I don't remember the book, but do have that song on an old Harry Nilson album. Still have a bunch of vinyl I need to transfer to my music server one of these days.

Okay, now back to this dumb thread I started :D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
By the way, I just want to say in all seriousness that I appreciate the sense of camaraderie on this forum, and the wit - and wisdom - that everyone here is willing to share. It is a privilege to be a part of it.

Mark

Back