• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wooden Hats

Hi, I have been searching on the internet for things about wooden hats and I had a few questions about them. What can be done to prevent the cracking of the wood, what is the best way to bend the brims, and if a form is required what is the best way to make a form? Another thing is where is the best place to get the wood for turning? If you have any other tips for me that would be great. Thank you for your help.

Sam

Pat Johnson did a miniature hat demonstration for our club a few months ago. It was quite an exciting demo!

First thing is that he turns these from woods like Cherry, Maple, or Holly. They are good woods for this application. I'm not sure exactly why, but I think they don't crack as easily as some other woods.

The other thing is that he turns them while they are soaking wet. He tries to cut the blank from the tree the day he turns them and then keeps them in a bucket of water til he's ready to turn them.

This also ensures that his light will shine through the wood on all the different steps so that he can maintain a consistent thickness. He even has a light that he can put in the headstock spindle to shine up inside the hat so as to get a consistent thickness in his last cut. (At this point we're all sitting on the edge of our seats!)

He also turns them to 3/32 of an inch thickness which curtails most cracking since all the wood dries at a consistent rate.

Since this thin wood is spinning all the water out, it begins to get dry too soon, so he also keeps a spray bottle on hand to keep it wet.

Pat used a clamping form to clamp the main body of the hat to an oval form while it dried. This same clamp is used in conjunction with large rubber bands wrapped around the brim to slowly bend it while it dried.

It's quite an interesting project. I've not been brave enough to even attempt it. I'm still working up to a bigger bowl... :rolleyes:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'll 3rd the Johannes Video. I had a class from Johannes and while I did turn a full size cowboy hat and 4 mini hats. What I learned was to turn thin.

There a lot of folks who copy Johannes work, some do it quite well, but he is the original hat guy.

I will probably never turn another hat. I will however continue to use the tool grind Johanees taught me and the methods to turn an even thin wall thickness.

Happy Turning,
Al

Back