• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

woodfast shortbed bowl lathe, made in Austrailia

Does anyone know of anywhere to get a manual for this lathe? I bought it on ebay, works super, really heavy, but runs clean.
I just got into bowl turning and having fun experiencing the bowl gouge.
I love to turn but green turning is new to me. I learned to turn with old spindle gouges and it is an experience to chane to the bowl gouge.
Thanks Gary

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Gary,

Like many folks, I made a LOT of pieces on a short Woodfast-it's still a great lathe. I don't think there ever really was any sort of manual that would help. It's a pretty straightforward lathe. I suggest you just use it-anyhting that breaks is simple to fix.

Green wood is the way to go. :D

John

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've had my longbed Australian Woodfast lathe for 17 years now, and I'm still extremely happy with it.

Most of the Aussie Woodfasts are 16" swing (including mine), but for a time, 2" riser blocks were available. For a short period of time, the Woodfast was made as a 20" swing, later on. As far as I'm concerned, you can buy as good a lathe as the Australian Woodfast, but you can't buy a better lathe.....it's built simple and robust.

I believe someone else who posted to this forum, enquired about a manual......so, if you do a search, you can probably get a copy of the manual right here. I still have my manual, but it's pretty simple and not very detailed at all. Also, the Woodfast tool company in Australia is still in business, just not producing lathes. If you run a search for them, you'll find it. I did, when I was interested in purchasing some of the optional items, but there isn't really anything they still have in stock......might be worth a try to get a copy of the manual. If worse comes to worse, and you can't find a copy, let me know.

You are going to like that lathe! :cool2:

ooc

Attachments

• Woodfast lathe with variable speed motor (2).jpg
    Woodfast lathe with variable speed motor (2).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 42

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Gary......

Here is a link to the Woodfast Machinery Co. of Australia.

I'm not knowledgeable of their current operations, but I think the lathes on this site are not, or mostly not manufactured in Australia anymore......but, who knows......ask them!

You could probably get a copy of the manual for your lathe if you contact them.

click:

http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_1

ooc

Back