• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodland Hills Woodturning Instructors?

Turner

Pat, I suggest that you go to the "local chapters" icon of this site's home page and select a turning club close to you and contact them. There are many gifted turners in CA, I'm sure that a club close to you will know of onesuch.

Will ya be turnin' chanters, lad?

Pat, I am a turner in Oxnard, CA. I am also a member if the Channel Islands Woodturners. My backgroung is in furniture construction but over the last couple of years I have taken up woodturning. I would be glad to help you in any way I can.

Robert

There's Steve Dunn in Carson California. He is really good and gives classes.
He is also good friends with Stuart Batty, who is one of the very best. When Stuart is in California, Steve arranges classes who want to learn from Stuart. I'll look for his number today and pass it on to you.

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
RE: Steve Dunn

Hey Pat,

I currently do a one on one class Saturday mornings. I already have 1 student but he had to drop his schedule down due to workload, so I too have some time I could help. I'm in L.A. near the 5-10 interchange. There's a club in Glendale and one in Channel Islands that would be able to offer some good assistance & mentoring as well.

As for Steve Dunn's information, I host a webpage for him about his shop/school: http://imprintwebdesigns.net/SteveDunn/.

By the way Elizabeth, Stuart has taken up residence in So. Cal. now, so he's around all the time :) Local clubs should find it easy to arrange demos. He is working on a new website for his work and such: http://www.stuartbatty.com

Thanks for the info. It is going to be great for us in California to have Stuart Batty here. You must be near where I had my factory (off the 10 on Alameda). Such a shame I didn't know about you before we closed.

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
actually...

Now that I think about it, we may have met before if yours is the same shop I am thinking of. If so, we met when I was demonstrating for General at the 2003 AWFS fair in Anaheim. I was living in Santa Clarita at the time, so I wasn't so close, but yes I am now about 10 minutes or so away from I-10 and Alameda.

Pat, I hope you get this. Check out our website www.channelislandswoodturners.org

This will give you a lot of information of our club. You will find that we have an excellent mentoring program where you can benefit from one on one lessons from a number of our turners.

You will also find me listed as the club librarian along with my email. If you have any questions at all let me or anyone else know.

In the recent past we have had Stuart Batty, Allan Batty, Bonnie Klein, Andi Wolfe and others demonstrate for out group. This year we still have scheduled J. Paul Fennel and Chris Stott...

We would love to see you.

Russ

Back