• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturner's 3/8" green wood saw blade?

Have any of you who own a 14" bandsaw with riser tried the Woodturner's 3/8" blade <click> that Highland recommends for green wood? I recently put a Timber Wolf blade on my saw, 1/2" 3tpi alternate set, it did fine until it didn't -- on a tallish piece of fruitwood, really bogged down. Might have been my fault, but I'm interested in what other small saw owners have had success with.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Hi Jamie,

I can't comment on the Woodturner's blade, but I can say that I recently followed the tensioning advice in the Timberwolf catalog and everything cuts a fair bit better. That said, some woods like mtn ash bog down harder for me.

I'm always open to trying something better, so I'll be paying attention, thanks for bringing it up.

Hi Jamie,

I can't comment on the Woodturner's blade, but I can say that I recently followed the tensioning advice in the Timberwolf catalog and everything cuts a fair bit better. That said, some woods like mtn ash bog down harder for me.

I'm always open to trying something better, so I'll be paying attention, thanks for bringing it up.

Yep, their "flutter test" works pretty well. I'm pretty sure my saw needs a new spring, like the Iturra retro-fit, since it sat for 5 years. It wasn't tensioned that whole time:p, but I'm not very good about releasing the tension in general. Might get one of those quick-cranks too, just get it all done at once. I'll let you know if I try the Highland blade. I'm thinking the raker tooth might really help the configuration. I found an old AAW thread that talked about bandsawblades.com, but they only communicate by phone or fax, so will call them Monday, see what they have.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have an old 14 inch bandsaw that I haven't used in a very long time ... like maybe 12 years or so. I have used a thin kerf blade from Highland Hardware designed for resawing. I also have various Timberwolf blades as well as cheap blades. They all worked well ... some "weller" than others. I used low tension on all of my blades. I didn't have a riser block. The problem with riser blocks is that makes it easier to bog a saw down. However, making slower cuts should take care of most problems that are the result of an underpowered machine. Make sure that the blade isn't being twisted or pinched when you are cutting rough pieces. If a piece can rock or tilt, that is an invitation to binding the blade. Forcing a cut can cause the gullets to clog with sawdust and the heat generated can make the kerf swell. Another suspect is a dull blade. Sometimes you can encounter wood that has enough mineral content to dull a blade rather quickly. Bark with embedded sand is another problem ... it can be like trying to saw a grinding wheel in half. If the blade wants to wander or wobble back and forth and if it is necessary to push a piece to get the blade to cut then maybe the blade is dull. Blades seem to cut fine until they suddenly don't.

My main bandsaw is a Mini Max MM-16. A blade might snap, but the motor isn't going to bog down. It's a really exciting feeling when a big blade snaps. It took only once for me to become much more vigilant about not doing things that might cause a blade to bind.

You'll find the Woodturners blade to be exactly what you want for green wood. Easy to tension on a 14" saw. Some say they dull quicker than others but I re-sharpen with a diamond burr on a rotary tool when necessary. Takes 10 minutes and your off to the races again.

Have any of you who own a 14" bandsaw with riser tried the Woodturner's 3/8" blade <click> that Highland recommends for green wood? I recently put a Timber Wolf blade on my saw, 1/2" 3tpi alternate set, it did fine until it didn't -- on a tallish piece of fruitwood, really bogged down. Might have been my fault, but I'm interested in what other small saw owners have had success with.

I spray blade with pam before cutting green wood. Helps a bit, Gretch

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just use cheap blades that I buy locally. I find that most of the problems when ripping logs such as cutting hollow vessel endgrain vessels is feeding the wood too fast. You have to really slow down. It feels like it's cutting OK but it's not really clearing the kerf well enough. Then the blade starts to bowl and everything gets tougher. Just slow down much slower than you think you have to.

Green Wood Blade

"You'll find the Woodturners blade to be exactly what you want for green wood. Easy to tension on a 14" saw. Some say they dull quicker than others but I re-sharpen with a diamond burr on a rotary tool when necessary. Takes 10 minutes and your off to the races again."

I agree, the extra set makes a difference in clearing out the chips and the 3/8" blade is easier to turn.

I use that blade

I use the blade on my rikon 14" bandsaw. love it, I actually ordered a 111" one not realizing it was the wrong size, still has the tag on it, finally got the right size and I see no reason to use anything else.

I've been using the Highland blades for the last four years or so - they perform really well and seem to stay sharp for a long time. I haven't had the need to look for alternatives. I did notice that, last time I ordered, they only offered them in 3/8" when the first ones I had ordered from them were available in 1/2". Haven't seen them since, but the 3/8" seems to perform just as well.

I think that turners more often than not are working at the extreme ends of the capacity of their bandsaws (at least the 14" models). Cutting green wood, just like turning greenwood, is different from working with dried lumber, and a 14" saw with a riser block is being pushed farther towards that edge than the same saw without the riser. Putting a large blank that weighs in close to the floor weight of the saw is just asking for trouble. As has been said, go slow, then slow down a little more, and use the chainsaw to rough-round the really large blocks.

Well, first off, the tension meters on bandsaws are all pretty much worthless, kind of like the blades that come with the saw. With a good sharp blade, cutting up to 6 or slightly more inches high requires 1 hp or less. Going over that, you need 1 hp or more. If you are going up to 12 inches, you need still more. The thing with the riser blocks is that the saw, and generally the motor as well are not designed for cutting that high. Yes, you can do it, but if you want do do a lot, then you need a bigger saw. I have always used 1/2 inch blades on my small saw. Big saw is a Laguna 16HD with a 4.5 Baldor motor on it and it cuts 16 inches high with no problem. The only time either of my saws slows down is if the surface on the saw table is not flat and the wood tips a bit. With a 1/2 inch blade you can cut down to about a 5 inch diameter circle. The big saw has a 1 1/4 by teeth at 3/4 inch apart. Good for knocking off corners but not for any arc under about 5 foot radius.... I also prefer the thicker blades as I tend to abuse my tools.... The Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades are the best out there. One of the best buy/best value. They cut straight, they stay sharp longer, and they have very good set to the teeth. I went through a 16 penny nail twice yesterday and didn't even know it. I take mine to a saw shop to have them resharpen them for me, usually several at a time. They also check the tooth set. I have made some attempts to touch up my own, and just found I got far better results from my saw shop.

robo hippy

You'll find the Woodturners blade to be exactly what you want for green wood. Easy to tension on a 14" saw. Some say they dull quicker than others but I re-sharpen with a diamond burr on a rotary tool when necessary. Takes 10 minutes and your off to the races again.
I may try that with the blade on there now. Will see if I can find details online (shape of burr, exactly how to touch up). Have never done that.

I just use cheap blades that I buy locally. I find that most of the problems when ripping logs such as cutting hollow vessel endgrain vessels is feeding the wood too fast. You have to really slow down. It feels like it's cutting OK but it's not really clearing the kerf well enough. Then the blade starts to bowl and everything gets tougher. Just slow down much slower than you think you have to.
Speed undoubtedly was part of the problem with the one log. Had me dreaming of a much bigger saw/motor.:p

I've been using Highland blades for the last four years or so - they perform really well and seem to stay sharp for a long time. I haven't had the need to look for alternatives. I did notice that, last time I ordered, they only offered them in 3/8" when the first ones I had ordered from them were available in 1/2". Haven't seen them since, but the 3/8" seems to perform just as well.

I think that turners more often than not are working at the extreme ends of the capacity of their bandsaws (at least the 14" models). Cutting green wood, just like turning greenwood, is different from working with dried lumber, and a 14" saw with a riser block is being pushed farther towards that edge than the same saw without the riser. Putting a large blank that weighs in close to the floor weight of the saw is just asking for trouble. As has been said, go slow, then slow down a little more, and use the chainsaw to rough-round the really large blocks.
Yeah, I'd probabaly prefer a 1/2" but 3/8" would be OK. Hah! Never have apprached even half the floor weight in a piece of stock. My "maximum lift" used to be about 80 lbs., closer to 35 these days.

Well, first off, the tension meters on bandsaws are all pretty much worthless, kind of like the blades that come with the saw. With a good sharp blade, cutting up to 6 or slightly more inches high requires 1 hp or less. Going over that, you need 1 hp or more. If you are going up to 12 inches, you need still more. The thing with the riser blocks is that the saw, and generally the motor as well are not designed for cutting that high. Yes, you can do it, but if you want do do a lot, then you need a bigger saw. I have always used 1/2 inch blades on my small saw. Big saw is a Laguna 16HD with a 4.5 Baldor motor on it and it cuts 16 inches high with no problem. The only time either of my saws slows down is if the surface on the saw table is not flat and the wood tips a bit. With a 1/2 inch blade you can cut down to about a 5 inch diameter circle. The big saw has a 1 1/4 by teeth at 3/4 inch apart. Good for knocking off corners but not for any arc under about 5 foot radius.... I also prefer the thicker blades as I tend to abuse my tools.... The Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades are the best out there. One of the best buy/best value. They cut straight, they stay sharp longer, and they have very good set to the teeth. I went through a 16 penny nail twice yesterday and didn't even know it. I take mine to a saw shop to have them resharpen them for me, usually several at a time. They also check the tooth set. I have made some attempts to touch up my own, and just found I got far better results from my saw shop.

robo hippy
Yeah, Reed , you're working in a different universe than I'll ever be. As far as the riser goes, I rarely max out the height, but I hear ya on the undersized motor. The 100-year-old maple we devoured last week (club activity) presented some big wood for sure!

Hope you had a chainsaw chopsaw to help cut it up. I might be willing to travel just to bring it up. Not every turner needs one, but every club should have one. Saves a lot of work...

robo hippy

I may try that with the blade on there now. Will see if I can find details online (shape of burr, exactly how to touch up). Have never done that.

Jamie. There are small ( 5/32 & 7/32 cylindrical stones available. They are used for sharpening chain saws. Easy to use on 3 tooth blades. Unless you need it for ripping I think a 3/8" blade is better. Less material to bind. Also get the .032" blades not the .025. Ron.

Jamie. There are small ( 5/32 & 7/32 cylindrical stones available. They are used for sharpening chain saws. Easy to use on 3 tooth blades. Unless you need it for ripping I think a 3/8" blade is better. Less material to bind. Also get the .032" blades not the .025. Ron.
Thanks, I've seen those. Where do you touch the teeth? I'm guessing in the gullet, but don't want to make matters worse.:rolleyes:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks, I've seen those. Where do you touch the teeth? I'm guessing in the gullet, but don't want to make matters worse.:rolleyes:

I think that you would touch the top of the tooth and perhaps the side. If there is a build up of resin then spray the blade first with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Let sit for about ten minutes and then hose off.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Dave, the second link has embedded code that takes you to rhe same place as the first link. Here is the correct link: http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/07/how-to-sharpen-a-bandsaw-blade

I would be careful about sharpening the face using a Dremel tool. For the needs of a woodturner where we're not doing precision work it's probably not a big deal, but for things like resawing, it could possibly make the blade cut less accurately if the hook angle and gullet geometry are altered too much.

In the YouTube video, the person doesn't seem to be paying attention to the alternate grinding angle. It's like sharpening a chain saw where the grind angle alternates left and right. It appears that in the video all of the teeth are getting a straight across grind.

Last edited:
I think that you would touch the top of the tooth and perhaps the side. If there is a build up of resin then spray the blade first with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Let sit for about ten minutes and then hose off.
I abandoned oven cleaner years ago in favor of full-strength Simple Green, especially for carbide tipped circular saw blades. A rep with Freud strongly advised against oven cleaner, and I hate working with the stuff. Soak a blade for 10 minutes in SG and the crud comes right off.

Dave, the second link has embedded code that takes you to rhe same place as the first link. Here is the correct link: http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/07/how-to-sharpen-a-bandsaw-blade

I would be careful about sharpening the face using a Dremel tool. For the needs of a woodturner where we're not doing precision work it's probably not a big deal, but for things like resawing, it could possibly make the blade cut less accurately if the hook angle and gullet geometry are altered too much.

In the YouTube video, the person doesn't seem to be paying attention to the alternate grinding angle. It's like sharpening a chain saw where the grind angle alternates left and right. It appears that in the video all of the teeth are getting a straight across grind.
Thanks for pointing that out, Bill.

Thanks for catching that Bill. I was looking for a different video (but couldn't find it today) to post that shows a guy cutting with a dull blade (and you could tell it was dull) and then sharpened the same blade in-place on the saw and then cut a piece of timber like it was butter. That convinced me to try it and it did work for me. His method was more just getting the tool to the bottom of the gullet and swiping down. Not any back and forth motion. That how I do it and works just fine. Just so happens I need to dress up my blade because I hit a buried nail the other day.

I use candle wax on my blade, it seems to help. I think I'll try using Pam.

I just finished cutting up 15 bowl blanks from more green maple logs today. Have a new approach with the PAM to avoid most of the overspray. I wait until the blade is enclosed in the wood, keep the saw running, and aim the spray at the exposed bit between the wood and the guides.

A downward stroke on the top of the tooth. Quick & easy. Ron.

Done! I sharpened it Wednesday after coming home with another load of green maple. I think that doubled the life I got out of that blade! Working on technique, I slowed down my feed rate when ripping the pith out of the half-rounds, used the PAM more frequently. Crazy Grizzly 1019Z, low-end and old as it is, hung in there and cut even when I totally maxed out the 10" cutting height.:cool:

I have never used pam on my blades. I may have tried it, and Boeshield, and Top Cote, and WD 40, and don't do it any more because it didn't really make any difference as far as I could tell. Having a flat surface on the bandsaw table probably does a lot more. This is one area where my chainsaw chopsaw really helps, and so does the big bandsaw if you can afford it.

robo hippy

I have never used pam on my blades. I may have tried it, and Boeshield, and Top Cote, and WD 40, and don't do it any more because it didn't really make any difference as far as I could tell. Having a flat surface on the bandsaw table probably does a lot more. This is one area where my chainsaw chopsaw really helps, and so does the big bandsaw if you can afford it.

robo hippy
I've watched your video on the chainsaw chop saw. Very cool. Seems to me the PAM decreases the noise and helps a tad in getting less gunk on the blade. I definitely keep a flat surface on the table, too scary not to! I keep various thin scrap near the saw to wedge under the stock when there's a small gap.

I've watched your video on the chainsaw chop saw. Very cool. Seems to me the PAM decreases the noise and helps a tad in getting less gunk on the blade. I definitely keep a flat surface on the table, too scary not to! I keep various thin scrap near the saw to wedge under the stock when there's a small gap.

Jamie-I definitely agree that the Pam (was using wd 40 til others on this forum steered me to Pam) helps keep the blade from caking up with goo( sap + water, or whatever) Gretch

Back