• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

woodturners in china

Does anyone know of any woodturners in Shanghai, Beijing or X'ian? I'll be over there this Christmas / January and am always keen to see how turners work in other countries.
While I'm at it, how about Hong Kong and Macau? I'm sure there are turners there too.
Andrew

well, a lot of turning equitment is made in china, before they moved the factory to china we had an employee discount store, i assume they will have the same thing over there, it would lessen inventory shrinkage

Andrew,
Most likely not popular. I just came back from Hong Kong and China. Apartments are so small and expensive, they can't afford the space & the mess especially in Hong Kong. The luxury apartment just hit a market high recently. It was HK$71,000 per square foot (US$9,160 per square foot per Yahoo currency converter). HK$4,000 per sq.ft. on 30+ years old apartments is regarded as bargain. Brand new ordinary apartments are around HK$10,000 per sq.ft. If people can afford more space, they would rather have a second bath or roomier rooms. People who can afford the excess space for a workshop probably won't have time or woodworking won't fit their life style.
If you look up the AAW Directory, there is no member from Hong Kong, Macau or China. There are only 2 members in Taiwan; one of them seems to be a manufacturer.
I have brought some small turnings to relatives as gifts. Woodturning as a hobby is something new to them. At first, they showed great interest. After my wife mentioned the shavings, dust, we changed conversation subject.
Properties in big cities in China have gone high rise, and price sky rocketed. You will see a lot of wood carving, but not turning.

Those are purchase price of course. More than a brand new top of the line Oneway, Robust, or VB-36 for one square foot of apartment in a high rise building floor. Don't forget you don't own the land, the floor area calculation includes your share of common area, such as common walls, staircase and elevators. The authority wants to prevent the bubble of luxury apartment, they were talking about setting the down payment no less than 40%.

Thanks Gordon. If everything is on the same scale it might be a good time to consider exporting our woodturnings to Hong Kong.

Gordon,
Thanks for your insight. I hadn't thought of the fiscal aspects you've brought to light, but they make sense, and we certainly have a different attitude to what we consider 'pass-times'. It's a reflection of the standard of life we lead.
Nevertheless, I hope someone can suggest a turner I can visit. I've found some incredible examples of turning in Africa and Asia in the past, most often found while wandering down a less travelled street. It's phenominal what some people can do with minimal equipment, power and tools. It really makes some of us 'Westerners' realise just how lucky we are to have such well equipped workshops to pander to our hobbies, while others do with so much less to make a living...
Andrew

Last edited:
Andrew,

If you have a chance to go to Taiwan, visit the National Palace Museum in Taipei. They have an ivory ball that is over 16 layers. Each layer can be rotated. That was made before Oneway lathe, Vicmarc chucks or NSK piercing tools; or may be even before electricity. You won't see much woodturning. But if you are interested in shapes and forms of vessels, you won't be disappointed. I noticed the similarity in shapes of the modern master pieces and those exhibits of several thousand years old. Probably they are pleasing to the eyes then is also true now.

This place is huge. I have been there several times. After a full day visit, I still have a rushing through feeling. They do rotate their exhibits. Photo taking is strictly prohibited.
Ivory Ball Picture

Website
www.carolevalentine.com
Andrew, I do not know of any turners in those areas but there is a gentleman in Hong Kong who has an extensive collection of turnings by turners from around the world. I am sure if there are any turners there, he knows who they are. While I don't feel I can post his info on the forum, if you wish to contact him, email me and I will point you to his contact info.

Back