• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturners in West Tennessee???

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
I was just reading a thread about how helpful the local AAW chapters are for new woodturners. Only problem is I live 75 miles from the nearest chapter.

I became interested in woodturning only recently and I'm wondering if there are any other woodturners around the JACKSON TN area.

The AAW site has a page with all sorts of help after you have figured out that there are other turners in your area, but I didn't see any offer of assistance to find that out. That is understanbable due to the need to protect the privacy of members. So maybe this will stir up a few.

Thanks

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Chuck,

One of the benefits of joining the AAW is the Resource Directory. It lists all the members and their locations. I have met a lot of turners by looking in the directory. It usually lists an email address for contact info. I found it amazing that I had several who lived within a few mile of me. Most of whom I would have never met if not for the resource directory. You only need a few to get a new club started. :)

Hope some of them will find this thread.

Best wishes,
Dave

The other thing to know, Chuck, is that it's not uncommon at all for a turner to drive an hour or two to get introduced and do some turning together. If you got ahold of the club president (I'm assuming it's in Memphis or Nashville) and had him bring this up at the next meeting, or even bit the bullet and drove to one meeting, I'm relatively sure you'd find folks (and that plural is intentional) who'd be interested in making the trip to hook up with you.

Dietrich

P.S.(specially if you're buying the pizza)
P.P.S.(I'd offer to drive myself but I moved from Memphis to Boston about 15 years ago so it's a bit of a haul)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Chuck There are 3 clubs not terribly far from you. Memphis, The TAW in Nashville, and the Duck River woodturners. I'll bet there are enough woodturners around you that if you did some publicity you could probably start a club in Jackson. I'll be glad to drive down and do a demo to help get the club started if you find a group of people and a place to meet.
Have you checked the AAW directory to see if there are any turners listed in your area.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
I agree it's not out of the question to drive 75 miles ocassionally, but I wouldn't want to do it very often.

After over forty years developing computer software I hate to admit it, but I can't figure out how to search the AAW directory. I doubt that I'll live long enough to go through it name by name.

Thanks for all the offers and encouragement. I'm going to keep them in mind.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Chuck I don't think they have a searchable data base online but I may be wrong. As a member of the AAW you get a hard copy directory. That's what I use. I live in Cookeville, Tn and used to drive to Nashville for every club meeting 86 miles. I still do occasionally but we started a club in Cookeville and one in Crossville so I don't go to Nashville as much. I'm thinking about going to the next meeting however just because I haven't been in a while and I enjoy the people.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
John,
I appreciate the information here and in the PM. I will get in touch with the people in Jackson you told me about. I also plan to attend the Nashville meeting in January.

I just filled out my AAW membership application this week so I don't have the paper directory yet and didn't realize that was what you guys were talking about.

Thanks

Back