• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Design Magazine

Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
Has anyone already received their Winter 2005 issue of Woodtuning Design magazine? I went to a local woodturning supply store an they have the issue already on the shelf. I have been told they received the magazine Monday or Tuesday of this week. I thought that subscription holders usually receive their magazine before it actually hit the news stands. At this point I either missed my magazine this quarter or I am confused as to how this subscription works. Who has received the Winter 2005 issue?

magazine

Not me! Feels like a "not renewal coming up", soon. Phil

Website
www.timbertreasurestwo.com
I'm sure you have all been reading about the problems the AAW has been having with the distribution of the Journal. Well, all magazines have the same set of problems, give or take. Most magazines do not distribute the individual copies themselves, but, rather, hire what is call a fulfillment company to handle subscriptions and to distribute the magazine to the dealers.

The fulfillment company sends the shipments to the individual dealers who are supposed to put the magazines on the shelves on a specific date. This allows for enough time for the subscriptions to be processed and mailed out so the subscribers get their copies first. I know we have even delayed the news stand arrivals for a couple of weeks to permit this to happen in hopes of prevent these kinds of problems.

Unfortunately, some dealer(s) always has to put their magazines out ahead of time and then this starts a frenzy and people get upset because they didn't get their magazines. I suspect that this is what is happening now.

Regards,

Joe

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Vince I probably get 15 or more magazine subscriptions. I can buy almost everyone of them off the shelf before I get them in the mail. That's been a fact of life for many many years. I look at it as a preview. I'll pick up the issue and thumb through it which builds the excitement of actually getting the mag and being able to read it.

Website
www.woodturner.org
I agree with John on this. It is pretty much standard practice for magazines to be available on newstands 2-4 weeks prior to arrival at homes. In the end we all receive our magazines.

If you think that is frustrating, we just had a live board meeting over the weekend (only have 1-3 a year). The editor (Carl) brought color draft printouts of most of the articles and taped them up around the periphery of the room. So I was able to preview the articles but not actually read them. Now it will be weeks before I can actually read the articles!!! I will say that this upcoming issue (Winter 2005) is quite colorful.

Back