• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning design software

looks good. i see a problem ( for me) in that the dimensions shown look to be metric. i wonder if they have version in fractions.

Don't do it!

I'm a graphic designer by profession, and I will caution you against using software to assist you. I started tuning from designs I created on the computer and found that it really tied my hands. I have learned something new with every piece I have turned. I believe the longer you turn the more you will be able to do it intuitively. There are many teaching aids like books and tapes, and I highly recommend viewing the work of others. While a computer can be helpful with planing a segmented piece or something requiring a little geometry, for the most part it will probably restrict you.

Website
www.woodturningdesign.info
Caution

Before you buy software you have to decide what it is you want it to do for you. All software and the person using it, have limitations and opportunities.
Experience in 2D design can be a limiting factor when dealing with a 3D thinking. Intuition is fine but it is possible to produce an intuitively bad piece of design as well as good. Observing other turners work is fine too, it will enable you to copy very well. Think outside your box if you want to produce original ideas - software can help trigger this if it is ideas you are after. It is also possible to infinitely change objects before you commit yourself and your piece of wood. There is nothing to stop you working intuitively on the lathe but it is better to work with an idea than without one. It is not necessary to slavishly attemt to reproduce something envisaged with software (or conventional sketching) but software can provide starting points for new ideas and ways of working. A couple of recent experiments below contain ideas for development, it is not a requirement to produce the whole image as you see it. Each of these images have possiblities for turning and combining materials say metal wire or fibre material with a part turned part carved wood component. I have worked with this programme for about an hour and I can already see possibilities for further use in the development of design ideas. The program you have looked at will only be helpful in investigating fairly simple forms and applying a wood texture to the result - if that is what you need it should work fine for you but there are both cheaper and superior ways of doing this. Hope this is helpful in your decision making.

Last edited:
helps me

I have several (4) woodturning software programs, including this one. I find that I can play with design easier and faster than by pen. For those of us who have difficulty with porportions and flat spots in curves, this is great. I'm considering putting mine in the club library for demo purposes only.

In my limited experience.... It's all good...

I think that any tool that can enhance our visualization is a good thing. Whether it's pen and paper, or "virtual reality" is beside the point. I think that much creativity begins in our mind anyway. I use a virtual design program every day, and find it a very cool thing to be able to tweak a design and catch mistakes, before it goes into production!

On the other hand...

Not that I think anyone is saying this, but I don't think that virtual reality ever substitutes for the actual hands on experience of making design decisions based on reading the wood, and making mistakes and having to correct or salvage a piece.

There has been many a time when I conceptualized a piece only to have it the plan trashed because the wood didn't co-operate or my skills just didn't match the conception. But, if all my pieces had turned out exactly as I first imagined them, I would bet many of them wouldn't have turned out nearly as well. Mistakes can bring out some of my best creativity... Probably because I have to let go of my perfectionism for a moment and go with the flow. I have to "read" the situation and make decisions based on the material at hand...

Last edited:
Program question

Captain Eddie said:
I have several (4) woodturning software programs, including this one. I find that I can play with design easier and faster than by pen. For those of us who have difficulty with porportions and flat spots in curves, this is great. I'm considering putting mine in the club library for demo purposes only.

Eddie: Is this software (Creative-Woodturner) metric only? If it is do you consider this a problem? I'm not very good with pencil and paper, so my main objective is help transferring ideas from my mind to hard copy. I also see the 3d feature as a real bonus. Thanks.
jwavem

I'm using it in the metric mode and don't know if it switches. I do lots in metric because my calipers are metric and I have the balance of the gear to go that way. I often wish the US would have adopted the metric system when I was a kid. I see lots of mistakes made because people can't add, subrtract, multiply or divide fractions.

Boy do I agree with this... It would be so much easier in my field if folks would convert.

But the thing you run into is the mentality shown by a certain shop foreman (who shall forever remain unamed) who told me once when I had no clue what he was referring to; "We ain't never done millimeters, and we ain't never gonna do millimeters. So just git that outa yer head."

All the while I was wondering "What the heck are you talking about?" I was just asking Newbie questions about the lineboring machine (which happens to have 32 millimeter spacing, unbeknownst to me).

So several months later I asked him... "If I have 10 pennies in my hand, how much is that?

"10 cents"

"And If I have 10 dimes in my hand, how much is that?"

"A dollar"

"So why is that hard? The metric system is just like that...."

I then retreated to the office as fast as I could.... :D

I mean, who would divide a dollar by 1/16ths? Three sixteenths of a dollar is 18 and 3/4 cents. And 5/16ths of a dollar is 31 and a 1/4 cent.

Good grief! Let's just make it complicated! But I know all this because I work in decimal form of fractions all day. Your average laborer won't get this...

Ok... time to ditch this archaic system...

How about the NASA team that screwed up a launch because one group used metric and the other one did not ---goodby rocket (or was it a Mars mission screwed up)

Website
Apology

I would like to aplogise for posting two computer images in the photo section supporting my comments earlier in this thread I should have realised that only images of turned wood should be posted. I would also like to apologise to the two members of this Forum who seem to have taken offence at the comments I made.

Website
Creative woodturner

I have tried unsuccessfully to phone this company to get a definitive answer for you regarding the metric/imperial measurement systems. Both numbers in their ad here don't work. I phoned Woodturning (UK) magazine which is carrying the ad to try to get an alternative number. I was assured someone from the company would be contacted and phone me back. No luck and no reply. If you base after sales service on pre sales response good luck if you buy the program and then have a problem. Sorry I can't help you further. Maybe e-mailing them from their website www.creative-woodturner will get you the answers you need.

Metric and Imperial

Philip Streeting said:
I have tried unsuccessfully to phone this company to get a definitive answer for you regarding the metric/imperial measurement systems. Both numbers in their ad here don't work. I phoned Woodturning (UK) magazine which is carrying the ad to try to get an alternative number. I was assured someone from the company would be contacted and phone me back. No luck and no reply. If you base after sales service on pre sales response good luck if you buy the program and then have a problem. Sorry I can't help you further. Maybe e-mailing them from their website www.creative-woodturner will get you the answers you need.

Thanks for trying to contact the company. I found the answere. If you go to www.creative-woodturner.com click on "Print dimensioned plans" than click on "Personalisation" you will find that it's your choice either metric or imperial.
NOW I'm worried about your lack of response from this company. Please let me know if you hear from them.
Thanks again.
jwavem

Website
Reassurance

Hi jwavem,
Seems I owe Creative Woodturning an apology! They phoned me late on Friday, it seems they have moved offices and have had problems with their phones and new numbers etc. Just shows one shouldn't make premature assumptions!
Good luck with trying software to assist your design work, it might take you some time to get to grips with it but it is worth the effort.
Regards
Philip

Back