• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Design

Website
www.woodturningdesign.info
Some time back I posted a thread under the name Phil Hill to get some feedback to some questions. Thanks to all those who responded. I did receive my grant to assist in setting up a new website and I am pleased to say that the core site is online and contents will begin to appear next month. It has taken a little more time than I thought to master website design!
For those who may be interested and did not see my previous notes the address is http://www.woodturningdesign.info. The site will take some time to complete and will be large. It intends to cover just matters relating to design with some emphasis on computer software. There should eventually be something of interest to most turners. There will be downloadable tutorials in a range of subjects, articles, profiles etc. If there is specific subject related to design you would like to see please mail me either from here or the site.

Thanks

Philip Streeting

Website
Thanks

I would like to thank the many turners who have visited and returned to my site, waiting patiently for things to appear. My apologies for the long delay. The first articles in .pdf format are now on-line, more will follow shortly. Feedback will be appreciated and will help me to provide material that is of most interest to the majority in the first instance. Conventional versus digital design methods as an example. I can be contacted through the site e-mail address, no commercial interests are involved here so no fears of releasing or using private e-mail adresses should you make contact.

Happy turning

Philip Streeting

Philip, I enjoyed the starting points of the site. As mentioned above, this is a daunting project. I wish you well as I have been focused over the last year on design issues. I look forward to a dialogue partner(s).
Blessings,
David Galloway

Steve Worcester said:
Interesting, I didn't know the .INFO domains were available. Thats my something new for the day.

Steve,

If you didn't know about .info, you may find the ICANN registry list informative.

Philip,

You may find W3C's validation service helpful in checking your web site. This is a free service that checks documents like HTML and XHTML for conformance to W3C Recommendations and other standards.

hope this helps,

--eric

Website
David, may have some references for material you may not have come across yet, would need to know current areas of investigation to be able to pass relevant info on to you.

Rick, as the only person to request a next step, I will ensure basics for Serif are online asap. Thanks for comment. If you are interested particularly in Serif could send tutorials to you for test run, pre-posting.

Eric, thanks for the helpful references but I'm not au fait with HMTL. I am using Go Live to construct and manage the site so I am hoping most people will be able to access without too many problems. From the site analysis figures it seems so far it's okay. If anybody know different please let me know.

Best wishes

Philip

Website
Tutorials on-line

Thanks to all those who have visited and re-visited my site and for being patient.
There are now 5 Draw Software Tutorials on-line covering the basics, 113 pages in total. I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who tries them out including errors, omissions and ease of use comments before I upload more. In fact any comments will be welcomed. A couple more basic Tutorials to follow then on to low-cost or no-cost 3D.
Thanks
Philip Streeting

messages through this site or
info@woodturningdesign.info

PDF files

The recent release of Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 makes a world of difference in the download times and accessibilty of .pdf files. I suggest all take a look at what version you are running currently, dump it, and go to Adobe.com to download the 7.0 version. Make your life easier!. Phil

Website
Galleries

There are now a couple of small galleries showing 3D output from Draw profiles. Good quality basic 3D can be achieved using a programme downloadable for less than £10 UK (under $20 US I guess) from a US site. Trial download is also available. This was used for the examples in the gallery taken from the Draw Tutorial files. Other lowish/medium cost software was used in the second gallery.

Regards Philip

Back