• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning in College?

jay

Hey everyone. I am a relatively new turner who is about to graduate from high school. I was wondering if anyone knew of colleges that had woodturning as a class or if there were and that do it for fun? If anyone has any info, that would be very helpful. Thanks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jay
I work for Tennessee Tech University. The Appalachian Center for Crafts is part of our school. they offer a nationally renowned wood program. although it is primarily a wood program you could easily weigh it with lathe work. They have about 7 Powermatic 3520's. They do teach turning and there are some great workshops in the summer and weekend workshops in the spring and fall. Without looking I can't remember all the good turners coming this summer, I know Nick Cook and Bob Rosand are coming.
They have had many of the their students win place or win national awards. You can just attend the Craft Center and get a certificate or you can also attend classes at Tennessee Tech and get a degree. I would urge you to look at it. Graham Campbell is the wood instructor. His specialty is surface decoration but I believe the man can make anything he sets his mind to.
http://www.tntech.edu/craftcenter/
If you decide to come this way to visit stop by. I live 15 miles from the Craft Center. I usually teach one of the workshops in the spring. It sure is a great place. Besides wood you can learn glass, fiber, ceramic and metal. Probably the greatest thing about the program is getting input from artists in other mediums.

jay

Thanks for the info. The school looks very cool and the craft center seems to be doing some interesting things, so it might be something to consider. If I take a trip out there this summer I’ll try and get in touch before I come out. I’d enjoy seeing some more of the turning and other things that go on out there. Thanks again.

Website
www.woodturner.org
There are a number of schools which offer woodturning, and they are listed on the AAW Woodturning Schools resource page. The contents of the page haven't changed much in 2 years but most of the schools are active in the field. Check it out here: Woodturing Schools

jay

Oh wow. There are quite a few on there. That’s a very helpful resource, I can't believe I missed that. Well thank you very much for your help. Now I just have to start making some decisions.

Back