• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yorkshire Grit

I have been tempted to buy some but I have a question regarding its composition. As I understand it, mineral oil is one of the ingredients and wouldn't this would soak into the wood and compromise subsequent finishes?
The late great Ray Key used a soft wax polish as a sanding lubricant for his small, capsule boxes and applied a finish over this. I've also questioned this practice.
Has anyone here experienced any problems?

I use Yorkshire Grit when I'm going for a glossy finish. They say you're supposed to apply it over sanding sealer, but I never do. I'll sand to my final grit, polish with the YG, then polish further and remove any trace amounts left with shop towel at speed. Then I apply my finish directly over it. Usually for glossy that's several coats of TruOil gun-stock finish thinned a bit with mineral spirits, which is basically a wiping varnish. I've never had the slightest issue doing this. I have also used walnut oil, blo and other oil-based finishes over it, again with no issues. I can't speak for any lacquers or spray-on finishes as that's not really my thing, but I would lose a bet if there are any issues.

The key ingredient of 'Yorkshire Grit' is rottenstone, also at times incorrectly called tripoli, which is a bit different. Down our way Tripoli is sometimes also incorrectly called rottenstone.

Rottenstone is a naturally occurring mineral comprising weathered down limestone (primarily calcium carbonate/dolomite) with some diatomaceous earth (the silica skeleton remains of diatoms) or other forms of silica/quartz.

Tripoli is a naturally occurring mineral comprising mostly of silica with varying small amounts of aluminium oxide.

You can mix either of those with whatever fluid/paste that is compatible with your final finish to allow you to apply them.

I've used them satisfactorily with both wax/solvent (turpentine) and oil based mediums. I'm yet to try with a pure hydrocarbon solvent.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I put shellac over yorkshire grit regularly with no problems. It's my standard finish for hollow forms. I make sure I get as much of the residue off as possible by using a grey 3m pad while the piece is spinning and then check with a paper towel. I'll usually let it sit for a day or so before I apply shellac. I've also put walnut oil over it.

I made my own from the myriad of recipes on YouTube. Like many others I used Walnut oil instead of Mineral oil. It’s very easy to make but if you’d rather not, just buy the cheapest abrasive wax. Check the ingredients though as some contain petroleum distillates.

To make mine I used:
Walnut Oil
Bees Wax
*Pumice powder
Old soup tin
Wooden stick
Boiling water

* There are several grades available

Back