• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

You probably all knew this....

But I was quite pleased once I'd figured it out!

I have quite a good eye for what looks "right" but sometimes find selecting the turning actions to produce the result a challenge. Consequently I usually draw out the shape on graph paper and cut out a template-sometimes the "positive", sometimes the negative". Pinned behind the workpiece I can see what I'm trying to achieve. Results vary.....

I also saw a demonstration of the shadow/sillouette method. With the light behind me over my shoulder I aligned the light to the paper template which was pinned to the board on the lathe bed. I calculated the conversion factor. It was a bit hit and miss, particularly as I keep getting my head in the way of the light.

It then dawned on me that if the light was directly above the work it would cast the shadow and the conversion factor would be taken care of automatically. Cutting the template out of cardboard allowed me to align it between the centres, resting in the jaws of the chuck and the revolving tail centre. The template cast a nice shadow on the paper that I could draw round with a thick pencil. However once the prepared blank was put in the chuck it obscured the markings. So I added a mirror behind the workpiece which shows the shape as the gouge cuts in relation to the pencil line. The paper does get covered in shavings but a small brush gets rid of them. (Using the dust extraction system did not work well....!) The last pic is what is shown in the mirror.

Obviously with more practice there will be less need for the system but as a means of producing what I intended without "design modifications" it seems to work.image4.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpeg

The mirror is leaning against the wall (it’s almost vertical) behind the lathe. It’s currently hanging on a bit of string….refinements to follow! I did wonder whether the image being “backwards “ in a mirror would confuse me (easily done) but as I am watching the shadow moving towards the line it’s not a problem.

I started with a sphere as these are easier. Once the initial “cylinder “ has been turned to the required diameter the shadow cast on the paper shows the slightly larger radius needed for the outline. Measuring this (from the centre line) gives the radius for the full (half) sphere. Set on compasses, draw the semi circle and off you go. The mirror just makes seeing what is happening a bit easier.

Back