Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blind woodturner

Default blind woodturner

I saw a post on this forum in December by a blind woodturner. He said that AAW was working on a tutorial or program to teach blind people woodturning. I have a grandson that is blind in one eye and very challenged to see out of the other eye. Has anything been put together for such a program?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    I saw a post on this forum in December by a blind woodturner. He said that AAW was working on a tutorial or program to teach blind people woodturning. I have a grandson that is blind in one eye and very challenged to see out of the other eye. Has anything been put together for such a program?
    Rod, yes, the AAW is working on a tutorial for teaching woodturners how to teach blind people to use the lathe. The program is not finished yet, though. Dennis DeVendra and others are working on the manual. For more information, contact Linda Ferber in the home office: linda@woodturner.org. The April issue of American Woodturner will carry a story about the program, and eventually the manual will be available later this year on AAW's website in the Members' area.

There will be a panel discussion at the Tampa symposium titled "Turning With Challenges," which will discuss AAW's program, as well as other possibilities for turners with disabilities.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Default Blind Woodturner

This has been a rewarding program and we are working on the edits at this time. We expect to have the video and manual completed in June. The program will be posted on the website, links will be included in the "Keep Turning with AAW" email.

Linda Ferber
    AAW Program Director
    Linda Ferber

Default blind woodturning

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to working with my grandson so that he can do some woodturning.

Default Woodturning for blind.

First,i beg your pardon for my very bad english.
    I am woodturner in France since 1999.Unfortunatly i lost an eye in Indonésia vhen i was 12years old.But it does'nt matter.Now a day i am 65 and beginning the end of my life i spend my time by woodturning.
    I'm very fond of ornemental turning inspired by François Barreau.
    If you wish so,you can have a look to my website and so that appreciate what is possible to turn with one eye only.
    http://jacques-gouillet-tourneur-sur-bois.com

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
    France.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gouillet View Post
    I am woodturner in France since 1999.Unfortunatly i lost an eye in Indonésia vhen i was 12years old.But it does'nt matter.Now a day i am 65 and beginning the end of my life i spend my time by woodturning.
    If you wish so,you can have a look to my website and so that appreciate what is possible to turn with one eye only.

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
    France.
    Bonjour Jacques,
    Your work is amazing! Thank you for providing the link to your website.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

I am just curious here - are we talking *blind*? Can't see at all? If so, that is amazing that someone could figure out a way for a blind person to do this. But the first thing that jumps out at me is safety - wouldn't it be a bit dangerous for a person that cannot see to be in the area of a spinning chunk of wood?

Clearly I am missing something here..

Default En réponse à Mickael.

Bonjour à tous.
    Pour répondre à Mickael,je ne suis pas complètement aveugle,mais n'ai qu'un oeil,ce qui pose le problème de l'absence de vision binoculaire.
    Chaque tournage commencé est un défi contre le mauvais sort de la vie.Mais demeure la volonté d'arriver au bout du projet.
    Par contre,il est vrai que le danger subsiste,et régulièrement je fait un stage à l'hopital pour avoir passé les doigts dans le tour par manque d'appréciation des distances.Mais c'est le prix à payer pour effacer les mauvais souvenirs et faire aussi bien que les autres.

Désolé de vous écrire en français,mais mais c'est plus facile pour moi d'exprimer mes sentiments de cette façon.

Cordialement à tous.
    Jacques.

9. Default

I translated this with Bing translation.

Hi all.
    To meet Maxwell, I'm not completely blind, but have only one eye, the problem of the lack of binocular vision.
    Each started filming is a challenge against the evil spell of life.But still the desire to arrive at the end of the project.
    On the other hand, it is true that the danger remains, and regularly I interned at the hospital for having passed the fingers in the tour due to lack of appreciation of the distances.But it is the price to pay to erase the bad memories and do as well as others.

Sorry you write in French, but it is easier for me to express my feelings in this way.

Best regards to all.
    Jacques.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gouillet View Post

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
    France.
    I found out you can translate his website using.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ur-bois.com%2F