Thread: Every thing I thought I knew about spalting was wrong!

Default Every thing I thought I knew about spalting was wrong!

Got to see Sari (Sara) Robinson tonight at our club demo. One of the best I have seen in a long time, in part because I knew little to nothing about the topic. Fascinating! If you ever get the chance, check her out.

http://www.northernspalting.com/blog/

robo hippy

Default me too

I had learned a little bit more before tonight but my original thought about spalting was it was a more marketable term for rot or decay. My current understanding is that the colors and lines are how each organism marks it's territory. I bookmarked a handful of links off of the link you provided and that link to do more reading. While it had crossed my mind to try to use a specific fungus to start spalting I see that science is far far ahead of me with the idea.

I have a living water oak right outside my front door. Huge tree and it has four or five different varieties of fungi around the roots. I have wondered what the green wood looks like with all of that fungi growing on it but hope I never find out. The tree is almost certain to do major damage to the house if it falls.

Hu

Default Dumber than wood

I too thought it had to do with rot caused by fungus as well. It was very interesting and informative to listen to Sara on the video link. I have some questions that I think I will email her concerning pine bark beetles.
    Thanks for the info Reed, it was definitely worth the time.
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Doerr; 07-26-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling/name

There is an article by Sara Robinson on "Spalting and Health and Safety" in the journal, volumn 26, no 4. (AAW members can access that article via the vast archives of journals online in the Members' Area.) She also has a second article coming out either December issue or February next year.

One of the local chapters in Texas is working to get up and going a "virtual" demonstration by Sara sometime soon. Check with the AAW office to see when it might be scheduled to see if you or your chapter could link up and be part of the seminar (linda@woodturner.org).

Betty, when I had dinner with her last month, she sounded much happier with AWW Journal then FWW. She specifically noted liking the editorial efforts.

Ralph
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by n7bsn View Post
    Betty, when I had dinner with her last month, she sounded much happier with AWW Journal then FWW. She specifically noted liking the editorial efforts.

Ralph
    Well of course!!!

Betty Scarpino, editor, American Woodturner

Default Spalted Maple.

I just uploaded pictures of a spalted maple Lazy Suzan and matching bowl.
    They were finished with an Epoxy pour coat. I don't know how to direct you to them.

North Central Texas -- Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gafney View Post
    I just uploaded pictures of a spalted maple Lazy Suzan and matching bowl.
    They were finished with an Epoxy pour coat. I don't know how to direct you to them.
    Would this be it: Spalted Maple Lazy Susan
    Bill Boehme
    AAW Forums Moderator
    My Photo Gallery