Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does a bowl become a hollow form?

Default When does a bowl become a hollow form?

I'm just wondering----is it just the size of the opening in the top that determines what it is or is it simply what the turner chooses to call it?

an inquiring mind wants to know
    Stoppy

Well we call them bowls and hollow vessels but ceramics people call them bowls and jars. What shape does it have to be to fall into the Vase category. Could you call it an Occasional Vessel. Also when does a plate become a platter. How about candlestick vs candleholder.

Default Call it what you will but....................

Quote Originally Posted by Stoppy
    I'm just wondering----is it just the size of the opening in the top that determines what it is or is it simply what the turner chooses to call it?

an inquiring mind wants to know
    Stoppy
    When you can no longer get a straw in the opening to suck out the soup, you have a hollow form. Page 31 chapter 11 of the bowl turners rule book!
    Elbert Hubbard said "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing"

Jake - WNYWoodturners-II Pro-AAW

I have heard that this is intentionally vague by woodturners so as not to inhibit artistic creativity. The main thing is the opening is smaller than the largest diameter of the vessel. Thats about it from what I can gather.

Well I guess you could say semi-hollow form. I do a lot of those. For me a hollow form is any vessel, vase, bowl or otherwise that you cannot make the turn or curve with a regular gouge. Now you can take a segmented urn say and turn out the inside before capping with a lid and a small opening. Now what do you have? Whew! GT

Sounds like you have a fake hollow form. haha. I would assume you have to clean the inside out THROUGH that opening that is smaller than the largest outside diameter. But actually, who knows?

North Central Texas -- Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex

I believe that the term "hollow form" is a broad term that would encompass (OK, shoot me) bowls. My made-up rationale is based upon the idea that the inside of a bowl is "hollowed out". Trying to come up with a "legal" definition can only lead to grief when someone eventually creates something that requires further clarification. The end result might be something that looks a lot like the NFL rule book.

Bill

Mostly artistic pretense/license. Wooden objects with a use are easily compared to their non-wood analog. After that, you have to come up with something that sounds good. Hollow is descriptive, but a vase or bowl has nothing in the middle either, and all things have form, so that fits as well.

So it's a term that describes nothing by describing everything. Almost like the titles the politicians put on bills they sponsor. Sound and fury.
    Stand clear, rest near, and cut the wood as it wishes to be cut.

Default Let me try!

Bowl = Rim open to largest diameter as someone else said

Dish = very shallow bowl, small

Platter is a very shallow bowl, big

Openform = Opening larger than the base but smaller than the maxiumum diameter.

Hollowform = opening equal or smaller than the base and significantly less than the max diameter

Pot = Height equals diameter and opening is equal or close to max diameter, just kind of square in porportion

Vase = significantly taller than the max diameter and opening is equal or close to the diameter of the top of the vessel.

Urn = Vase like in hieght or porportion but fits hollowform defintion

Box = has lid that fits fairly tightly, small

Lidded vessel = openform, pot or vase with a lid, bigger than a box, lid fits rather loosely

Art = A woodturned item priced proudly

Craft = A woodturned item priced modestly

Junk = a turning currently in flight accross the shop, ie. 'Houston we have a problem'

That was fun.
    Frank

Default A dammit

You missed one, Frank. A dammit = An almost finished piece in which the inside is suddenly larger than the outside in either width or depth.