Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hollowing system to buy

Default Which Hollowing system to buy

I want to buy a really good hollowing system for my Powermatic 3520B.
    I have the Elbo tool for small stuff, but want a more robust hollowing system for deeper and more complex pieces. I want a system with a laser attachment.
    The two that I am currently considering are the Lyle Jamieson Boring Bar System and the Monster Hollowing system (not the one with the articulated arm), but the other one with the Captive holder like the Jamieson.
    I am leaning toward the Monster Hollowing System. Any suggestions?

Default hollowing system

you might want to attend the national symposium in Albuquerque, NM this summer. there will be free time but you might want to skip a rotation or two and look and see the different systems in the vender area. the whole symposium is an eye opener
    "Notwithstanding they are Cannibals, they are naturaly of a good disposission and have not a little share of humanity." Capt. James Cook

I would say get a handheld one such as Dennis Stewart.
    It is better to remain silent and let people think you are strange, than to speak and remove them from doubt.

I have a good friend that does a lot of 18" to 24"high x 10 to 12" wide hollow vessels and he uses the monster system he said it has the best in lasers. He also uses a varity of systems to get under the rim. Hpoe this helps? George

I highly recommend the Jaimeson system

Watch his video on it if you get a chance to

I have the Monster Articulated Arm. It is easy to use as a hollower but a little tricky to adjust the laser. The advantage of the Monster is you can interchange the arm with the captive thus saving a bit of money. Randy has or will make adaptors to fit virtually any boring bar.

His support is excellent.

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Holm View Post
    I would say get a handheld one such as Dennis Stewart.
    I like the stewart arm for smaller vessels, but the deeper and wider you go, the more hairy if became for me.

If you look at what John Jordan does, let's say within a 12"x12" vessel, he is the master at using an armbrace handle and tools.

Quote Originally Posted by george morris View Post
    I have a good friend that does a lot of 18" to 24"high x 10 to 12" wide hollow vessels and he uses the monster system he said it has the best in lasers. He also uses a varity of systems to get under the rim. Hpoe this helps? George
    George, is this Randy's Monster Articulated Hollower? I was under the assumption that the limit was about 8".

Quote Originally Posted by George Van View Post
    George, is this Randy's Monster Articulated Hollower? I was under the assumption that the limit was about 8".
    Hi George, I think he has two sizes now.
    http://www.seantroy.com
    In God We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Hi George, I think he has two sizes now.
    Hi Sean!

I will check with Randy. I used a Monster rig this weekend at our AAW Club Crawl, that particular rig was on a 2436. It was extremely smooth, I was impressed but that rig was designed for 5/8" max bar and the owner was told a 8" max.

I will let you know what I am told by Randy.

Keep warm, George