Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supernova 2 chuck wobbling

Default Supernova 2 chuck wobbling

Hi,

I'm a new turner, and in fact, have only turned 1 bowl on someone else's lathe.

I've purchased a Delta 46-460, a nova 1" 8tpi insert and a reconditioned supernova 2 from the manufacturer.

just received the chuck and insert this week, and when placed on the lathe, there is a wobble. at first, i thought it was maybe just my imagination, but when holding the allen key to the chuck, resting the key on the tool rest, there is definitely a wobble, as the chuck is making and breaking contact as it rotates, with the key absolutely steady.

it isn't the spindle, as with the faceplate on the lathe, it runs as true as can be.

i've been researching, and it would seem some have found that by shortening the insert, so the shoulder of the insert rests against the chuck, it fixes the problem.

has anyone here experienced this problem or know a solution?

thanks

Did you tighten the thumb screw that holds the insert into the chuck? There is a little gasket that goes in first, then the thumb screw. I lost the gasket and used a piece of auto gasket material and that that seemed to do the trick.

Dave F.

yes, grub screw is in and tight. it actually came with two of the fiber disks, but i only used the one.

forgot to mention that there is probably a 3/16 or 1/4" gap between the shoulder of the insert and the back of the chuck. the end of the insert is snug up against the inside of the chuck (in other words, it bottomed out inside the chuck)

Is the INSERT tight? We've had that exact issue and it was the insert was not bottomed out in the chuck, before the grub screw was tightened
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I thought it was, but I will have to double check before swearing on it.

Are you using Nova's insert, or a third party? There were Woodriver(?) Woodcraft brand inserts on the market that did not seat properly and induced a wobble. I know, I have one that I am making due with at the moment, it's only very slightly off. Will be ordering a new one from Nova soon. Really irritated about it. I wanted the Nova one when at Woodcraft, but salesman basically insisted I take the cheaper generic version. Must be they make more money on that one. Unfortunately, that store in now closed, so I'm stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael DeWald View Post
    ... Must be they make more money on that one....
    I don't know about tools, but I do (or did) know about groceries because I worked in IT for a supermarket chain for 11 years. The typical profit on a staple name-brand item was about 3%. The profit on the same item for private label (i.e. the store brand) was 17%, even at the lower price. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they made more money on the one they sold you.
    John Lawson
    Mediocre turner
    North Texas

I also had to return the Woodcraft insert because it would not properly seat in my Nova G3. I took it back to the store along with the chuck. They were very good about it, but we did have to try 3 inserts before we found one that threaded in.

Another possibility is the use of their plastic washer between the chuck and the live headstock. The plastic washer is supposed to make it easier to remove the chuck after turning. I do not know if it causes the chuck to move around a little bit, or not firmly seat. My problems ended when I stopped using the plastic washer.

Went out and checked. Turns out there must have been a bur or something in there, it was not totally bottomed out. I gave it a bit of torque, and it broke through and turned 3/4 or so rotation.

There is just a tiny, tiny bit of run out, and I would assume this is within normal limits. It is hardly noticeable at all. If this is all it had when I initially installed it, I would have never noticed.

Thanks, guys!

I went to Woodcraft today and picked up an 8" slow speed grinder. They didn't have any of the oneway sharpening jigs in stock; not back in stock until April 1st.

However, they did advance me the 10% discount on power equipment that starts next weekend and runs through the end of March for the grinder.

Back to the chuck, though.... Starting next weekend, the G3 special promotion package (with the extra jaws) will be on sale for $179. I got my reconditioned SN2 for $99, though, so I guess I'm still satisfied

GIGO in things mechanical, too. Bet if you tightened the bolts on the jaws and rotated the chuck you'd see even the last bit of runout go away. Worth the effort to clean off the insert and the chuck body itself and rethread a couple times if you still have problems. Then anything you see after you mount is the piece, not the chuck, and you can clean and get a perfect mount with one more try.

Or maybe I've just been lucky with my three Novas.
    Stand clear, rest near, and cut the wood as it wishes to be cut.