• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
IMG_0910
Charles M Gillingham

IMG_0910

Box elder bowl 8"x4", bee's wax finish
Charles: would that happen to be from the same stash of flamed box elder that you so generously gave me a block from last June when I was passing through Yreka on my way home from the AAW? I don't think I ever thanked you enough - that is one cool chunk of wood you gave me.

That's a great bowl - good form, clean lines, and a lovely piece of wood.

I've got three roughed out bowls I cored from that blank. They've got large areas of beautiful deep red flame. Been waiting 'til now to turn to finish. You just gave me the push I needed.

Jeff Smith

Yes Jeff, that's from the same lot of wood I rescued from a neighbor's stove. My pleasure to share the wealth and have a chance to meet a fellow wood turner. I hope you share some photos of the finished product when you have a chance to turn a bowl. Thanks for the kind words.

cg

Charles-

May I suggest to use a different background such as a grey material draped over the table top. I think the two woods are fighting with each other. You want your piece to be the center point where your eye goes.

Gary

Gary,
Thanks for taking the time to offer some pointers on photographing bowls. It has taken me months figure out how to post a picture here and these four photos were my first sucess. Given the time, I will make a second, better contrived effort. I had no idea my camera took such large photos or how to change their size. Problem solved.

cg

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Charles M Gillingham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata