• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Summer Sun'n
S. Clark

Summer Sun'n

5d x 4.375t
Turned and carved sycamore, pyrography, bleach, acrylic color

In the mid-summer heat you can find these spiny lizards or blue bellies as we call them, soaking up the sun almost anywhere around my hometown.
The carving and pyrography are awesome (using a trite term but true). Is it a complete cup (bowl)? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback.

By complete do you mean a single piece of wood? Yes it is. The lizard profiles were carved into the rim prior to completing the pyrography work.

By complete I was meaning does the bottom of the cup extend to the base - it's hard to tell from the picture. I assume when you turned it there was a large rim left for the carving.

Again, I like it a lot.

Yes Hal, its a regular vase-like form open all the way down. The wall is about an 1/8 thick with the two lizards encircling the top. The photo does compress the distance and make it a little hard to distinguish the depth across the top. It is the first time Ive used a telephoto lens for this type of photography and I think that it causes a more significant depth compression. The advantage was in being able to move the camera back from the display setup and have more working room for light reflectors etc. Photographing this stuff is a whole art in itself and I quite enjoy the challenge of doing it as well as that of turning (and carving, and pyrography).

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
S. Clark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename