• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Voyager Recycled
Voyager Recycled (Birdbath/feeder)
Materials: old totara post, steel, copper, Lawson pine, pumice and parts of an old shed.
Height: 1.8m
Width: 1.2m

Not a lot of turning in this piece but the ends to the voyager are turned and carved out of lawsonia and then coated in instant rust.
I made this piece for the Eco Chic Exhibition, which finished yesterday; unfortunately it didn't sell but now am able to take it to our Art la Carte Exhibition next weekend.
The story behind Voyager Recycled is that the pieces for the Eco Chic exhibition had to be made from recycled and eco friendly materials.
The pumice was beneath Lake Taupo 1800 years ago prier to the last eruption so I guess it is recycled! The steel in the voyager is old steel plate and the diagonal supports from power pole cross arms. The two trays for the birdfeeder and birdbath are made from the side of a small shed, which were beaten in to a wooden mould to form the shape.
I enjoy making these rustic pieces and get away from all the sanding!
Comments welcome
very nice, i wonder can pumice be turned????

Hi Charlie, you could turn pumice if you could get it to stay on the lathe as it is very soft and porous. It carves easily but very hard on tools.
Robbie

Surprised this didn't sell Robbie .I hope someone turns up with some recycled money at the next exhibition.Great work
Cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata