• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Atlanta

I am driving to Atlanta for the AAW symposium next month. I found out that Westin charges $32/day for guest parking. That's obscene! I started searching for alternatives online and found parking on "Deck A, Underground" for $20 for 4 days through ParkingPanda. What a deal!! It's within walking distance of the AmericasMart (0.7 mi). Does anyone know if this is a safe area both for me to walk and for car security? Also, has anyone dealt with ParkingPanda? Any information is appreciated.

Hope to see many of you guys in Atlanta.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Downtown Atlanta in that area is pretty safe. Nothings' 100% of course but I've walked around down there a lot. It's not far from the Coke Museum and the Aquarium so there are a lot of tourists. I think your car would be pretty safe but then I don't know what you drive. If your driving a Bugatti you might look somewhere else. :) I had not thought about parking. I will be driving in each day from my parents house. The lot your speaking of sounds like the same one that I used when I attended the big wood working show a few years ago. It's so huge it's hard to imagine anyone would pick your car out of the hundreds of others in there. could happen of course but with that many vehicles the odds of picking your over others is pretty slim.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
Probably no help to the conversation, but the only time I've ever had a vehicle broken into was when I had to leave it overnight on a surface lot in downtown Atlanta. Same thing could have happened in any large city when you're wearing out of state tags.

Website
www.billbulloch.com
I'm from Atlanta and I would be not call the Martin Luther King Drive and Prior Street Area as safe, especially at night. There is just too much crime around the Five-Points/Underground area. And, too, that mile walk with a suitcase and all them goodies you will be bring home is just not worth the $ savings you will benefit by parking there. I made a reservation for the Panda Parking Deck at 104 John Portman Blvd. for June 9, 7 AM., to June 12, 4:30 PM., for $45. That is only one and a half blocks from the AmericasMark (2 blocks to the Westin Peachtree) and for me the Convenience and security is worth the $25 difference.

If you do decide to park at Deck A though, you might consider riding MARTA for $2.50 one-way. You can board MARTA at the Five Points Rail Station just two blocks form the Parking Deck. Catch the North Bound Train and get off at the Peachtree Center Station. That will be the first Stop and is located at the Westin Peachtree Hotel.

Last edited:
alternate......AirportParkingInc.com......advertised $3.95 a day.......park take shuttle to hotel

most likely more time consuming ..............

Downtown Atlanta in that area is pretty safe. Nothings' 100% of course but I've walked around down there a lot. It's not far from the Coke Museum and the Aquarium so there are a lot of tourists. I think your car would be pretty safe but then I don't know what you drive. If your driving a Bugatti you might look somewhere else. :) I had not thought about parking. I will be driving in each day from my parents house. The lot your speaking of sounds like the same one that I used when I attended the big wood working show a few years ago. It's so huge it's hard to imagine anyone would pick your car out of the hundreds of others in there. could happen of course but with that many vehicles the odds of picking your over others is pretty slim.

Thanks for the quick response, John.

I drive a Bentley. So, I think I'd better not park there. Really, I wouldn't be concerned about spending $138 on parking if I drove an expensive car like that but even with an inexpensive car there is still a chance of being broken into. I think Bill Bulloch's suggestion is better than the Underground parking lot.

I'm from Atlanta and I would be not call the Martin Luther King Drive and Prior Street Area as safe, especially at night. There is just too much crime around the Five-Points/Underground area. And, too, that mile walk with a suitcase and all them goodies you will be bring home is just not worth the $ savings you will benefit by parking there. I made a reservation for the Panda Parking Deck at 104 John Portman Blvd. for June 9, 7 AM., to June 12, 4:30 PM., for $45. That is only one and a half blocks from the AmericasMark (2 blocks to the Westin Peachtree) and for me the Convenience and security is worth the $25 difference.

If you do decide to park at Deck A though, you might consider riding MARTA for $2.50 one-way. You can board MARTA at the Five Points Rail Station just two blocks form the Parking Deck. Catch the North Bound Train and get off at the Peachtree Center Station. That will be the first Stop and is located at the Westin Peachtree Hotel.

Thanks for that very valuable info, Bill.

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
Parking in Atlanta

To assist Symposium attendees in finding parking while in Atlanta, AAW has set up a map of all of the parking available in the area surrounding the Convention Center at AmericasMart (the blue star on the map) at http://www.woodturner.org/page/2016Parking. The map shows the parking locations, rates (if available), and the payment types accepted. (We have not classified areas of the map safe or unsafe.)

You can find the map at the link above or by going to the Atlanta Symposium website at http://www.woodturner.org/?page=2016Atlanta and selecting the "Atlanta Venue" button.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Atlanta! :cool:
Kim

Parking

Well, I guess I will be paying $128.00 for peace of mind for the four days we will be there. The vehicle is insured, stuff can be replaced, but personal safety is priceless!
See you in Atlanta.

I'm with you Bernie. Wife and I discussed it last night. I choose to pay for the convenience. Never feel comfortable walking in big city streets at night, too many shadows:)

safety

In Marquette, Mi where i just got back from working (and bringing 5 cherry burls back in checked luggage/and carryon), the fellow I work with leaves his keys in his truck!!!!! I felt very safe walking alone in the area of the hotel at night.:) Gretch

safety/parking $$$$$/congestion........the bigger the crowd , the more hazel getting to/from the designed spot

any more word about the smaller venue symposiums??????

Back