• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this a scam?

Website
www.instagram.com
Received this in my email. What you see below is exactly what was displayed in Outlook.

From: zzzzzzzzzzzz@gmail.com [mailto:zzzzzzzzzzz@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stephen
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:58 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
Subject: WOODTUNNER NEEDED

Morning,

Am Stephens and i need your services as a woodtunner for my wife birthday and do you make furniture as well,let me know if you are available,awaits your favorable response and if you can send me some of your work and let me choose.

Regards,

Steph.

EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR TO REMOVE EMAIL LINKS

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My good friend, the Nigerian prince, says that it is on the up-and-up. :D

Seriously, you already knew the answer to your question, but thanks for the grin. On the other hand, I am feeling a bit disappointed that Stephens didn't see fit to make the same offer to me. Apparently most everybody else on the WoW forum received the email.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My good friend, the Nigerian prince, says that it is on the up-and-up. :D

Seriously, you already knew the answer to your question, but thanks for the grin. On the other hand, I am feeling a bit disappointed that Stephens didn't see fit to make the same offer to me. Apparently most everybody else on the WoW forum received the email.

I just found mine in the junk folder on the iPad.

I got a call on voice mail yesterday that was from the Department of the Treasury. Seems like some government employees have a real strong foreign accent. My son told me when I got the Internet years ago not to open or answer anything that doesn't come from someone I know. I get emails for Government subsistence. Might sign up and get some beans and cheese.

I get calls from the IRS 2-3 times a year about how the Sheriff or someone else will come visit me because my taxes are not paid. It is kind of laughable Allyn

I have girl friends in other countries that keep sending me emails.
They have never met me but my reputation precedes me they all know I store a lot of wood.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have girl friends in other countries that keep sending me emails.
They have never met me but my reputation precedes me they all know I store a lot of wood.

:D

Good to see that the thread is staying relevant to wood.

And, let's not forget about Rachel from Cardmember Services. Being concerned about the health of my charge card, I see to it that it get plenty of exercise by buying the latest woodturning miracle toy tool that will certainly set a course for my rendezvous with greatness.

Couple of month back I was getting calls from the IRS to pay $10,000 back taxes. Little did they know that I work from home and have time on my hand.

For the next 3 days, I would keep redialing them and waist their time all day long. You could tell how frustrated they were. They cussed at first, placed the phone on the side, talked to me, etc.

In the end, they promised never to call again and remove my number if I stop. Haven't got a call since.

Last edited:
Fadi, WTG!!!! My wife will be turning 65 next year and we are getting calls for medical supplement insurance. Hooray for Caller ID. :D

I occaisionally get emails from the IRS saying they owe me money, the thing I have never worked in the US or for a US company and to cap it all I am Britih with a .co.uk email address some of these scammers are too stupid to be taken seiously

Well are you all computer illerate? I have a program on my phone which will tell the auto dialers that we do not take those calls. On my computer I have a program called Mail Washer. This program will screen email for spam and unwanted items . By checking the program before deleting unwanted spam the system sends back to the sender that the email is invaild..........remember not to click on the email.

Back