• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway Lathes - Any discounts/promotions coming??

Does Oneway ever offer any discounts/promotions during the year on their lathes? Anything coming up soon?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I can't say I've ever heard of them ever running a promotional thing.

I can say that you can often buy one "slightly" used at a major symposium for a discount. You haul it home though

I plan on calling Monday, however, sometimes vendors do not disclose future promotions. I was looking for any historical info.

Thanks

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I’ve never seen any kind of public discount on Oneway products in the 16 years I’ve been turning.

I believe they give a discounted price on lathes used in symposiums, as was mentioned by n7bsn. As I recall, you can also order a lathe to be picked up at a symposium to help save on shipping costs since they’re bringing a truck with demo stuff on it anyway. Being in Michigan, perhaps you can pick it up directly from them in Canada and save on something or other.

Bought my 2436 in 1998. No discount then, I've never seen a discount. Back then there was a long waiting list. Discounts are seen at resellers for the accessories, never on a lathe.

We had a dealer in our club for years. He had discounts on everything Oneway EXCEPT lathes.
As noted before, symposium 'used' lathes, by Oneway, or just plain used on the open market are the only discounted.
They hold their value.

Nope - I'm considering Robust AB/Serious/Vicmarc as well. I am looking for a properly engineered, well made lathe. I know these are all great lathes - so my main decision points at this time are fixed or moving headstock (not sure which will suit me best) and price/shipping.

I'm a newbie - so my lathe experience is minimal. Some may think I am crazy buying a higher end lathe out of the chute but I like to get the best I can afford and never have to complain/re-buy later on. I have done this with all of my tool purchases over the years and it has served me well.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to respond.

The Oneway lathes are not mas produced lathes like the far east produced lathes, they are custom build lathes with whatever extras in on it that you like, I never was in favour of a movable headstock, two separate pieces are never as solid and rigid as a one piece bed and headstock, but maybe nice for a lower cost lathe that tries to please everyone.

When you buy a Oneway the engineers at Oneway come with the package. Whatever the issue, you are able to talk to "da man".
When I did the outboard extension, Kevin was right there explaining why my ideas we less than optimum (and they were) and what would work (and it did).

You will probably pay a bit more but it's worth the money. Be sure and get the 3hp and braking resister. And, for what it's worth, if someone gave me a Robust, the first thing I would do is toss the Robust banjo and put on a Oneway.
I don't know if I'd attempt this on other than a Oneway:

Day-1-2.jpg

When you buy a Oneway the engineers at Oneway come with the package. Whatever the issue, you are able to talk to "da man".
When I did the outboard extension, Kevin was right there explaining why my ideas we less than optimum (and they were) and what would work (and it did).

You will probably pay a bit more but it's worth the money. Be sure and get the 3hp and braking resister. And, for what it's worth, if someone gave me a Robust, the first thing I would do is toss the Robust banjo and put on a Oneway.
I don't know if I'd attempt this on other than a Oneway:

View attachment 24734

How the heck did you get that moved around and up onto the lathe???

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
How the heck did you get that moved around and up onto the lathe???

We have some really big tumble bugs here in Texas.

Rick-and-Vigilant-Tumblebug-reduced-220x163.jpg

With an engine hoist. That was the easy part - the challenge was getting it from front drive to my shop in the backyard.

The log was dropped off in the front (gravel) drive. A guy that I mentored, Jim Sexton, has one of those huge log dollys - big tires, handle is probably 6.6' high - huge platform. We got the log on the dolly and strapped down. Problem was, Jim at about 240-lbs and 6'4", couldn't break it over to balance on the wheels - with my paltry 195-lbs trying to help we couldn't get it to budge.

Oh what to do!! Solution: Tie a rope to the top of the handle - the other end to the hitch on his Suburban, and with Jim ready to balance when it hit the magic point, I would ease forward. Several neighbors commented on his words as I put the Suburban in gear: "When I say stop you f.....g stop!!"
It worked and we rolled it over the grass for about 200', got up to the threshold of the shop which is about 5" high, push it over and ran. Forgot to mention, both tires went flat at different times as we rolled the unit - Jim kept in balance as I filled a tank and, luckily, aired the tires.

Every since I met Jim I've been out of the running for the annual Darwin award.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Sorry to hear that you're no longer in contention for the prestigious Darwin Award. But, if it's any consolation, the award is often made posthumously.

I did enjoy the vaudeville video that was playing in my head as I read your description of moving that hunk of wood.

I plan on calling Monday, however, sometimes vendors do not disclose future promotions. I was looking for any historical info.

Thanks
Rob,
I'll let you in on a little secret. You already have one of the biggest discount possible on a Oneway lathe already and you don't even realize it. Oneway lathes are priced exactly the same in USD as they are in Canadian dollars since it is too complicated for the company to change pricing based on the constantly moving exchange rate and they get the same price anyways on the sale. Not to offend any Oneway dealers in the U.S. but if I was an American woodturner with USD looking to spend money on a Oneway lathe then I'd be buying it from Canada at this time after all it is already being made in Canada and being shipped from there in the first place.

What I am saying is that you should buy your lathe directly from Canada from Oneway in Canadian dollars or CAD (or buy it from the closest Oneway dealer in Canada to the border) you will save 25-30% plus just from the current exchange rate. I do not know what you will have to pay in regards to U.S. customs to move it over the border from Canada to the U.S. since it is a Canadian made good and what exemptions are available but it is worth looking into by calling U.S. Customs and Border Protection (NAFTA is still in effect so it can't be that much). I only know this because I am Canadian, have recently ordered a Oneway lathe, and speak with them frequently.

By the way I'm sure that you already know that Novi, Michigan is just a 3 hour drive from Stratford, ON where Oneway is located. If Oneway is the lathe that you decide upon from the many fine choices that you have listed then considering calling them up to order one, renting a truck or trailer, and make a roadie out of it after all you'll only have to move it oneway.

You will save on the exchange and freight plus they are an absolutely fantastic company to deal with; the products they make are outstanding and so is the service. By the way, your strategy of buying the best that you can afford is wise especially when it comes to wood lathes and woodturning tools.

Dustin,
Thanks for the interesting thought starters! We went to Stratford years ago for the plays - but picking up the lathe would be more expensive as I would need to rent a truck/trailer, pay customs fees, pay for a hotel/shopping since my wife would want to go ($$$$$$) and so on. I spoke with Oneway - freight to my house was around $350-$400 (no customs fees/issues).

However, the idea of paying in CAD funds is genius - not sure why I didn't think of this!! I just checked with my bank and they can do an international wire in CAD for $45.

I am leaning towards the Oneway now since it seems to offer the most flexibility (I like the idea of a fixed headstock) with the option of outboard turning. The metric spindle is odd, but I am starting from ground zero on tooling so not a big issue. The fund exchange discount is also hard to pass up!

Last edited:
Rob,
Oneway will accept cheques or money orders as well if that helps. I’m actually getting my lathe custom made and shipped to Portland to the AAW symposium as a discounted demo lathe since I am way out on the West Coast of Canada my freight is more like $800. They are sending at least three lathes to the AAW symposium and I believe that two have already sold.
I can drive to Portland in under 5 hours with my little trailer and am going there anyways. This way I save considerably on the lathe and the freight (well my gas and parking bill will be higher). Since the lathe is made in Canada, I am buying it Canada in advance, and it has a unique serial number, etc. I can bring it back to BC without duty and just have to pay my Provincial sales tax (I have confirmed this with Canadian Border Services).

There are two other ways to save on Oneway stuff that I know of for Canadians especially. For those who don’t live in Ontario if ordering Oneway parts directly from Oneway they do not charge the applicable Provincial sales tax since they operate out of Ontario and are not required to (that’s a 7% savings for me). However, if for example I go to a Oneway dealer/ distributor in BC and buy the same parts then I have to pay the extra tax as they must collect it. Also, if ordering more than $125 CAD of stuff from Oneway then shipping is free except on larger heavier items such as banjos, vacuum pumps, etc. but I doubt that this applies to U.S. or international orders.

Another way to save money is on Oneway chucks. When buying a chuck directly from Oneway they include a chuck adaptor for no charge. Dealers charge extra for the adaptor ($20-30) and typically more for the chucks.

My comments here are not to dissuade anybody from buying things from Oneway dealers as they should be supported (I support them regularly) rather I am just pointing out how to save money or get “discounts/promotions” as that is what this thread is about.

The metric spindle is unusual even in Canada where we use the metric system but it is very common in Europe. I believe the main difference is that it is slightly larger than 1-1/4 8 TPI. As Oneway is a major player in the high end lathe market most tool makers recognize this and make parts to fit there spindles.

Good luck with your lathe purchase.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I am leaning towards the Oneway now since it seems to offer the most flexibility (I like the idea of a fixed headstock) with the option of outboard turning. The metric spindle is odd, but I am starting from ground zero on tooling so not a big issue. The fund exchange discount is also hard to pass up!

Many people and i’m one of them find using the short bed outboard more convenient than sliding a tailstock.
You just rough the piece between centers, turn a tenon on it, then mount it in the chuck that you can leave on the the outboard side. You then turn or hollow from in front.
As for the 33x3,5m threads and #3 taper in the tailstock. Everything I have ever needed is available.
I also have #2 to #3 selves for some old stuff I use.

Biggest issue I had with the #3 tapers was in a demo on a #2 taper machine using a drill chuck - I forgot to hold the drill chuck when backing out - semi disaster -broke an ornament when the chuck started to wobble out. Great teachable moment!
The #2 taper does not hold a drill chuck well enough to to back it out of a drilled hole.
Get spoiled using the #3 tapers they hold for backing out It.

Last edited:
I just checked with Oneway. I can only pay with USD check or credit card since the lathe is going to US. Not sure if a dealer would require USD but I suspect they would. I'll try calling one.

Checked with a few dealers - I have to pay USD. Paying in CAD sounded too good to be true - if this was an option, I assume everyone in the US would buy Oneway lathes given the 30% opportunity!!

Oh well - not a big deal.

I just checked with Oneway. I can only pay with USD check or credit card since the lathe is going to US. Not sure if a dealer would require USD but I suspect they would. I'll try calling one.

Rob, the key words you said are “since that lathe is going to the US”. Maybe ship it to the border to a customs broker at the border?

Perhaps you could find a Canadian to buy it for you and take delivery of it. Or do what I originally proposed and drive the three hours there with CAD in hand to buy it and for sure you’ll be paying CAD for that lathe and saving over 20% plus. I’m not sure if you’d have to pay Canadian Provincial sales tax. You also might not enjoy moving a 800lb machine but used pallet jacks are cheap and easy to find.

Anyways check out the Oneway 2046 1.5 HP at Craft Supplies USA as it is listed at $5,890 USD:
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/216/5525/Oneway-2436-Lathe

I’d also consider calling the excellent folks at Craft Supplies USA and seeing what their best price is as their website says “call for best price” and they are helpful folks to deal with. After that check out Oneway’s website and that same lathe is listed at the same price in CAD: https://oneway.ca/products-category/lathes/2000-Series-Lathe

One would think that you could pay just Oneway for the lathe in Canadian dollars and tell them you will have it picked up by your own driver. They shouldn’t be concerned with where it is going and freight for a 3 hour drive can’t be that bad despite the border crossing if they quote you at $400. Any good logistics company can help you pick it up and ship it, the unknown would be the sale tax Provincially versus the sales tax possiblly in your state if it’s boughy local and what the duty might be for importing the lathe.

Last edited:
Back