• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

.. and another one's in the book!

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
A huge thanks to all the people that worked in front, and behind the scene to make another Symposium a great experience.

And an even bigger thanks to those of you that made my wife's (Ellen Winnie) first national symposium such a big thing for her.

Ralph

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I could not attend and I'm sad there haven't been any postings about what went on. I also think everyone who works at these things deserves a huge amount of support. Without that help they wouldn't happen.

Ellen was glowing on Sunday morning.... Like a friend used to say, "If you are having half as much fun as I am, then I am having twice as much fun as you are." Took me a year or two to figure that one out... Great time, and higher attendance than the last several Symposiums... Next up for me is the Oregon Woodturning Symposium next March... Always nice to meet in person some of those people you talk to a lot, but never get to shake hands with...

Hey, can you get a picture of that little form that she did all the burning on up here??? Very nice.

robo hippy

I could not make it to Portland this year, but I'm shooting for next year at Raleigh, NC for my first national BIG SHOW. June is always a super busy time for me, but maybe if I plan carefully, the pieces of the puzzle will fall in place. :)

I sure hope someone who attended got some good pics to share with those of us who were not able to attend. I sure would like to see the instant gallery, etc.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
June is always a super busy time for me, but maybe if I plan carefully, the pieces of the puzzle will fall in place. :)

Hey just for you the 2019 Symposium is in July

2019 AAW Symposium Demonstrators
The AAW’s 33rd International Woodturning Symposium will be held in Raleigh, NC, July 11-14, 2019. To be considered for a demonstrator role at the 2019 AAW Symposium, prospective demonstrators may apply using the online form. Deadline for Applications: August 1, 2018. Click here for more information and application.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ellen was glowing on Sunday morning.... Like a friend used to say, "If you are having half as much fun as I am, then I am having twice as much fun as you are." Took me a year or two to figure that one out... Great time, and higher attendance than the last several Symposiums... Next up for me is the Oregon Woodturning Symposium next March... Always nice to meet in person some of those people you talk to a lot, but never get to shake hands with...

Hey, can you get a picture of that little form that she did all the burning on up here??? Very nice.

robo hippy

I'll post them in this thread, at least I think I will, I think she has a photo of the one Dave (D-Way Tools) bought. Which he got because Lou (his wife) fell in love with it.

But she got great feed-back on her beaded/beaded forms, including invites to come visit and learn more.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
thumbnail-1.png raw-1.jpg raw-2.jpg raw.jpg

Here are some snap-shots of her mini-forms (about 3 inches tall). They are hollow-forms, turned, beaded, pyrography, painted and then glass beads are strung between the wood beads.
Dave (D-Way Tools) bought the one on the right

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Lauren and I had a great (and incredibly busy) time at the symposium. She did two demonstrations and I was on two panels... and we were booth-babes at the Lucid Woodturners booth, answering questions and playing with equipment. I will post recordings that I made of the Woodturning with Physical Limitations session and also the Rethinking Demonstrations special interest nigh panel discussion... ASAP.

It was a fine symposium. The venue was just the right size. It didn't feel crowded.
Nice demos. Had a great time chatting with folks.
The organizers and volunteers did an Awesome job.
Looking forward to next year in Raleigh.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I had the pleasure of meeting Ellen Winnie at the Symposium in Portland when she signed up for an Intimate Gallery Critique. We spent a good amount of time talking about the form and surface treatments, and what made it successful, as well as what she might try on her next one to improve or build on that. And we're now friends on FaceBook :)

This was my first Symposium and my mind is still exploding. Fabulous presenters! Thanks to all of them. This was the most well orchestrated and organized conference I have ever attended. Volunteers went out of their way to make the experience enjoyable and trouble free.

Back