• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Metal Detector for Turners

I am amazed at the depth of experience on this forum. Anybody have any advice/recommendations on a good metal detector for the log blank cutting process? I just ruined a saw chain and put some serious dents in my gouge dealing with nails in a chunk of walnut that was too pretty to give up on. That is the second time that I have done this (I'm a slow learner) so I thought that I should check with you pros on a workable detector solution. Thank goodness I have not had nail bandsaw miseries yet...but I think that too is inevitable.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I have one similar to Damon, they work, EXCEPT, they miss anything deep in the wood.
Mine missed a 12p spike whose head was about 4 inches below the bark.

I bought a $20 metal detector wand off Amazon and it works fine. As a matter of fact, the other day I accidentally threw out a big allen wrench in my shavings. When I noticed that it was missing, I knew that it was in the giant pile of shavings that I'd dumped in the woods behind my shop. I remembered the metal detector and found that wrench in about 15 seconds.

A few years back a local guy got involved in importing exotic woods from areas where the Viet Nam war was fought. Last i heard he gave up the project because the wood had so many bullets and metal embedded in it.

For deeper detection of metal you usually need a larger coil that is designed for sensing the metal to deeper depths. A smaller coil usually limits the depth of sensing metal objects. A small hand held wand may miss certain metals deeper inside a tree trunk, whereas a larger coil would pickup metals buried to a deeper depth inside the tree trunk. You also want a detector that can cycle between ferrous and non-ferrous metals or have a design that picks up both types of metals.

Back