• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Number of chucks?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's funny I see this thread today. Last night I was thinking maybe I should get another chuck. I just started turning less than two months ago and have that quick change chuck from PSI with the added cole jaws. I was thinking how even with the quick change stuff, I don't really like changing the jaws out. Clearly I'm thinking right that I need more chucks!

Good thinking. We toolaholics need to stick together.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
"The one who dies with the most chucks, wins!"

What is the prize for winning?

A bunch of undeserving old buzzards will descend on your shop laying waste to it and then make off with all of your wonderful prized possessions and not treat them with the respect that they deserve. I'm taking my stuff with me. I hope there's trees where I go.

They will have to get past my wife. It will make the Little Big Horn look like a quilting bee.

I have a Nova midi lathe and own 2 G3 chucks. The only reason is that I got tired of changing from the standard set of jaws to my cole jaws when I want to turn the bowl around to do bottom work at the end. Once I got the second chuck I ended up using it to mount a smaller set of jaws on and now still have to remove jaws and install the cole jaws when I need them, so I think a third chuck is probably going to happen. While it's tough to spend the money, it's a pain to change jaws when you need to on the spot, so I 'd say get the number of chucks that matches the number of different jaws you are likely to use on a single project.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
While it's tough to spend the money, it's a pain to change jaws when you need to on the spot, so I 'd say get the number of chucks that matches the number of different jaws you are likely to use on a single project.

This is a pretty good plan......whether it's part of an overall game plan, or an improvised effort that evolves from necessity. Probably quite a few turners end up getting chucks this way! :D

I bought my 4 Stronghold chucks one-by-one.......and, each time I bought one, it was usually precipitated by a few choice words out in the shop! :rolleyes: (Like many here, I don't particularly like changing out jaws.)

Although I have several other sets of jaws on standby, I permanently mount #2 jaws, #3 jaws, Jumbo Jaws, and Mega-jumbo jaws. When I need to change out jaws, I use the chuck with the #3 jaws.......but, 99.99% of my turning is done with those four sets of jaws that are permanently mounted.

-----odie-----

Thanks to all for a lot to think about. I don't know if you guys are enablers or not, but I'm not going to try and keep up with some of you. LOL
I think I'm going to get another Stronghold body, and maybe an 1-1/4" x 8 adapter for my Oneway chuck.
For now.

Call me a minimalist, but I still have just one chuck... And only three sets of jaws: 50 mm for dovetail tenons, spigot for smaller items, and a larger, heavier dovetail set for expansion into shallow recesses.

And yes, it takes some time to change jaws, but I am not a production turner and everything just takes the time it takes... Just sayin' :cool:

Ely

Not as many as some and more than others. I also don't like changing jaw sets so I have a range of sizes mounted on chuck bodies. Mostly Oneway, but my 1st was a Nova w/tommy bars hard threaded @ 1"x8tpi for my mini lathe. I do have 1 Vicmarc and I often say that if I had it to do all over again I would probably go all Vicmarc. I have not paid full price for any of my chucks except my first-I got most of them 2nd hand, all in good shape. This is just 4 jaw scroll type chucks, I have at least 10. There are also vacuum chucks, collet chucks, jam chucks, drill chucks (Jacobs style), etc.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Maybe we can start a support group for our chuck inadequacies.

And maybe at the next meeting of Chucks Anonymous we could take a virtual field trip to all ithe online dealers that sell chucks. :D But, no brandishing of credit cards please.

What a fun conversation! I thought I had a problem until reading through this thread.

Chucks are like chainsaws...I don't count anymore. I think the saws are winning, but the chucks are catching up.
Zach, if you're feeling the need to simplify your life, I could use a larger saw for ripping blanks. A Stihl or Husqvarna, 60-65cc, 24" bar, would be just right, thank you. Just to help you out, you know. What are friends for? :D

I started with a Oneway Talon, then added a Nova G3. Recently added an Easywood. Liked it so well I got another. I like the beveled jaw shape on the Nova and Easywood jaws. I have several jaw sets for each base and favorites with each one. The quick change of the Easywood is a big plus, and find I am using them the most.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Zach, if you're feeling the need to simplify your life, I could use a larger saw for ripping blanks. A Stihl or Husqvarna, 60-65cc, 24" bar, would be just right, thank you. Just to help you out, you know. What are friends for? :D

Sure thing! I have the perfect saw for you. That'll be three chucks. :D

If you purchase a lathe many times they throw in a free chuck on the deal, that way you don't feel guilty about adding to the chuck collection.
And it feels good saving money on the "free" tools.

So I have to buy six lathes to get six chucks? j/k I only have one chuck with some accessories and a small three finger chuck that I bought when I didn't know any better. I might find a use for it besides a paperweight. Too small for a door stop.

When we were stating how many chucks we had, I thought we were just counting 4 jaw scroll chucks. Well, I also have collet chucks, drill chucks, jam chucks, and vacuum chucks...... not to brag by the way, just did not want to miss out on the race, you know! :rolleyes:

odie

TOTW Team
When we were stating how many chucks we had, I thought we were just counting 4 jaw scroll chucks. Well, I also have collet chucks, drill chucks, jam chucks, and vacuum chucks...... not to brag by the way, just did not want to miss out on the race, you know! :rolleyes:

Hey......you probably have a few drills hanging around the shop, too!
They all have a "chuck"!

I'm so old school, that I even have one of those hand powered drills that work like an egg beater! :D
images

My son don't call me a "dinosaur" fer nuttin'! :eek:

-----odie-----

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hey......you probably have a few drills hanging around the shop, too!
They all have a "chuck"!

I'm so old school, that I even have one of those hand powered drills that work like an egg beater! :D
images

My son don't call me a "dinosaur" fer nuttin'! :eek:

-----odie-----

I've used them a few times. They used to be plentiful in hardware store when an electric drill was not affordable by a lot of people. I also have a brace and bit with several bit sizes. They were more practical for drilling holes in wood. I have a really old electric drill and it actually works. Maybe I can get a picture of it tomorrow.

odie

TOTW Team
I've used them a few times. They used to be plentiful in hardware store when an electric drill was not affordable by a lot of people. I also have a brace and bit with several bit sizes. They were more practical for drilling holes in wood. I have a really old electric drill and it actually works. Maybe I can get a picture of it tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing your antiques, Bill. Maybe we should have a thread about antique tools. I'll bet we can get a few of the old geezers to drag out a few old tools to show us.....! :D

I have a few old tools on my shop wall......if for no other purpose than to entertain myself!!!!! :rolleyes:
Antique tools.jpg
-----odie-----

Makes you feel old when tools you used as a teenager as everyday woodworking tools are now considered antiques. Since antiques are worth more than when new, does that mean we continue to increase in worth as we age:)

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
does that mean we continue to increase in worth as we age
This is true to a point. When working full time my pay went up 20x in 30 years.
I like to think it had more to do with what I learned during that time than just getting older.
As a serious woodturner a whole lot more people invite me to go places and turn than when I started.

odie

TOTW Team
Makes you feel old when tools you used as a teenager as everyday woodworking tools are now considered antiques. Since antiques are worth more than when new, does that mean we continue to increase in worth as we age:)

If things do get better with age, like wine........then we must be getting close to magnificent! :D

I'm now 69, but I've found myself identifying with 70 a few times lately. I don't know why that is, but to tell the truth, I'm looking forward to getting really, really old! :rolleyes:

When I was younger, I always did honor and respect the old people......now, I are one! :eek:

Kids, these days (many of them, anyway) are being taught to value their selves, over traditional thinking. This is the thought behind giving trophys for doing nothing at all. That isn't going to work out very well for them, or anyone else, either. :mad:

-----odie-----

Back