• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Interconnected smoke alarms.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

odie

TOTW Team

OK, thanks, Dwight.......I didn't see that particular question addressed. I'm pretty sure there will be no problem with close proximity buildings. My landline phone in the house works in the shop, so I'm assuming the radio transmitter in the smoke alarms will penetrate just as well.

-----odie-----

Surprised that someone didn't think of a way to connect with Bluetooth. You would be aware of anything going on when any alarm goes off.

I built 5,000 sf homes for many years and the smoke detectors were on different floors and wings of the house, sometimes 40' or more apart. When we tested them they all went off.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I bought new smoke detectors a couple years ago and they had to be wired together if you wanted all of them go off whenever one of them detected smoke. I haven't checked lately, but with everything going wi-fi and Bluetooth I wouldn't doubt that this would be a natural thing for smoke alarms. The rain sensors for my sprinkler system are wireless and the distance from from sensor to controller is about 80 feet for the front yard and 50 feet for the back yard. I also noticed that DeWalt has battery powered tools with Bluetooth now so that your tools can call your cell phone to have a chat.

Local code in Seattle now requires all rentals have smoke alarms with carbon monoxide detection. Ouch... those are expensive compared to plain smoke detectors. I bought a bunch of three packs, they are inter-connected. First rental unit I converted, pushed the test button upstairs and the basement alarm talked, that had to be 30 feet separation.

odie

TOTW Team
Local code in Seattle now requires all rentals have smoke alarms with carbon monoxide detection. Ouch... those are expensive compared to plain smoke detectors. I bought a bunch of three packs, they are inter-connected. First rental unit I converted, pushed the test button upstairs and the basement alarm talked, that had to be 30 feet separation.

I ordered one of these carbon monoxide alarms at Walmart.....just under $15.....pretty reasonable price. Might be Chinese made. Considering the current "trade war", this may be a short lived price.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidde-AA-Battery-Operated-Basic-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm/16930276

-----odie-----

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I have the Nest system, which does use Wifi.
It's programable in that it announces things like "smoke in the den", via all of the networked detectors.
It can't have custom names, so the "shop" is the "den"

Part of why I picked Nest is I talked to their CS people and they told me it does not false alarm on VOC's (from finishes)
We have not had it false on finishes, it has warned us on smoke when the wife was doing a lot of pyrography.

It does however false on the oil from the vacuum pump.

Programing one does require a "smart" phone or tablet.

odie

TOTW Team
Back