• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Gripe on Grinders

I'm in the process of replacing a grinder that died, after a life of good service. Over the years of my wood turning efforts I've had to replace a few. Why do grinders come with mounted wheels that are never really the wheels you want? Why do some come with lights (even if they are not the best grinders) and others not? My basic question is why can't we buy a grinder with no accessories?

I understand that the stores want to sell a "ready to use" tool, but a grinder with even the best wheels on it isn't ready to use unless they were balanced at the factory. I'll admit that a "general use" grinder might be a good product for the casual user and perhaps should be marketed, but a VS or slow speed is aimed at a more sophisticated market and could easily be sold as a raw machine without guards or tool rests or wheels.

OK, I know the answer to my question, but I'll still raise the issue. I just bought a new Delta VS at my local Lowes (off the shelf) as my old one died. I spent hours setting it up (without first testing it from the package with the supplied wheels). I mounted it on my platform with the Oneway Wolverine jigs and realigned everything, and replaced the factory wheels with my CBNs. I spun it up and found an underlying motor "hum" at speed that increased in volume if I raised the speed (then dropped out when I reduced it and the wheels were driven only by momentum, but came back when they were driven by the motor). A light touch with an old tool on the wheel added enough to the load that the volume of the hum rose. At that point I decided I had a motor problem that would soon become expensive.

I am awaiting delivery of a Rikon 80-805 slow speed, which has lousy reviews for the tool rests and wheels (as do most grinders of any speed unless you can afford a Jet or a Baldor). I chose to go to the single speed as it has less electronics to go wrong (no potentiometer). I'll return my Delta to Lowes (I replaced the orginal wheels and it is so out of balance I can barely find the "hum" of overwork, but it is there).

I confess I'm an old curmudgeon, but I do hate waste. Every grinder I've ever bought had wheels I had to give away or throw away, and since I've been using the Oneway Wolverine jigs for resting my tools I've been throwing away tool rests. And since I've had my CBN wheels (about 4 years) I've had to throw away the wheel guards and associated stuff.

Why can't they offer us the option for a nice raw grinder?

Best, Jon

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
One of my mentors told me to buy the best grinder one time, avoid buying cheap ones at home depot. I bought a commercial grade 8in Baldor grinder that at the time was more expensive than the lathe I had. Best advice ever. Still works perfect. Have gone thru countless wheels over 20 years, all brands and colors. Now I'm happy with my CBN wheels... There are just too many applications for a grinder to be used for, you buy it then you adapt it to whatever you need it for. A raw bare bones bones Baldor probably be only $50 less, LOL

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you had asked me. I would have told you to not buy the VS Delta. The noise isn't a defect ... that's just the way it is. As far as buying a bare grinder (no guards, no rests, no wheels) is concerned you'll have as much luck buying a chainsaw without its safety features. The wheels that come with a grinder are so cheap that it wouldn't affect the selling price if they weren't included. Woodturners are a different breed of cat from everybody else. Most people think that bench grinders are supposed to be noisy and vibrate like the dickens. Woodturners know better. Most woodturners remove the guards when they get CBN wheels, but I think it would be much smarter to have guards so that the steel grinding dust can be contained.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
If you had asked me. I would have told you to not buy the VS Delta. The noise isn't a defect ... that's just the way it is. As far as buying a bare grinder (no guards, no rests, no wheels) is concerned you'll have as much luck buying a chainsaw without its safety features. The wheels that come with a grinder are so cheap that it wouldn't affect the selling price if they weren't included. Woodturners are a different breed of cat from everybody else. Most people think that bench grinders are supposed to be noisy and vibrate like the dickens. Woodturners know better. Most woodturners remove the guards when they get CBN wheels, but I think it would be much smarter to have guards so that the steel grinding dust can be contained.
I might have to put one of the wheel guards back to see if they help with the airborne steel dust. In my old shop I had no windows, now, I can see the dust all over when the sun shines in. I'm glad I have my Versaflow, and I wonder how much steel dust I have inhaled in the last 2 decades...

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Jon.....sounds like what you want is a basic motor, then accessorize to your desire. I have an older Delta that has turned out to be an excellent long-term investment on my part. Too bad it's not made anymore. In the medical instrument manufacturing I used to work, there was a large section of metal polishers. There were two kinds of motors they used there.....Baldor and Dayton. We frequently hear of the Baldor line here, but the Dayton line is seldom heard of on these forums. In that commercial environment, the Dayton motors performed as well as the Baldors.

The grinders I've had in the past were all single speed, and I'm wondering if there is really any advantage to a variable speed that is worth the cost difference. I have learned that a variable speed is extremely valuable for a lathe, because of it's ability to minimize vibration. It's possible that the VS advantage could apply to a grinder in the same manner, and to an appreciable degree of value to a woodturner......but, I can't say that with my own personal experience.

In the mean time, I don't plan on any changes to my old Delta grinder......
IMG_4150.JPG
-----odie-----

I have the delta vs grinder, purchased it about 5 years ago. It is a pos. Too bad, Delta machinery used to make excellent professional grade equipment. Now it is just more Chinese junk.

I bought my Baldor grinder 26 years ago, no issues. I have rare earth bar magnets under my CBN wheels to catch the the steel dust. They are in Zip Lock bags so when they get loaded up you hold them over a trash can, pull the magnet out and the dust falls into the can.

And I thought I invented this idea :). This idea works great. I added an old aluminmum pie pan placed between the housing and jig to reach in front of the wheel to catch more metal dust.

Woodturners Wonders sells bare grinders.
https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/rikon-grinders/products/rikon-grinder-1-hp

I have rare earth bar magnets under my CBN wheels

Paul, I considered sending away fo bar magnets, but ended up staying with the 1/2" circles commomnly available at the store. I use two or three at a time and they work great.

The bar type seems a better shape, but when I looked at the bar shapes on the web they seemed really powerful, like 10 lbs of pull. I was concerned that they would be the devil to move if/when they accidentally got stuck to something else like the motor housing. Are you finding this an issue?

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
One thing I learned quite a while ago is that there are different levels of tools.
Consumer = Rikon, Jet, no-name brand, etc. Its cost effective, for wide distribution and availability, but made for "gentile" use, meaning things will wear out. And you just can't expect too much. They are disposable, not worth repairing (generally)

Professional = Baldor etc. Nothing fancy, can't visually tell the difference. Usually MUCH heavier. Intended for 30 years of hard use and will last that long. MUCH more expensive. Almost always worth repairing.

Pro-sumer = a mix of the above and often just marketing.

I'm a hobbiest, who uses the tools a lot. I want the Pro stuff, but can only afford the Consumer stuff. So I buy the old Pro tools.

This is my $50 grinder a Ford-Smith, from 1960's: 1 hp, 260 lbs, so smoothly you can barely tell its on.
This is Baldor beating quality.

$_59.jpg

Looked like crap when I bought it, but just needed a coat of paint and to touch up the wheels.
Other than dressing the wheels, I've not done a lick of maintenance in 5 years.

5018104.jpg

At the risk of encouraging people to buy more of this old equipment
(and depleting the inventory available to me...).

Keep in mind that there is TONS (literally) of old equipment, that is top quality, available in the used market. OSHA is forcing shops to retire this stuff and its getting dumped for 5 or 10 cents on the dollar. Often is fully functional, but being sold for scrap value.

My whole shop is old stuff like this. And most of it will outlast me and my 1 year old.

Last edited:
The wheels that came with my 1 hp Rikon are so bad, I wouldn't give them to some one I didn't like. The 1/2 hp Rikon works, but is under powered for anything other than recreational use. Yes, the lamps are worthless, and so are the tool rests. However they work for the general public. We are more persnickety about what we want for and out of our grinders, than the general public. The wheels that came on my Baldor were not what I would generally use in the shop and I gave them to the saw shop that does my sharpening. Probably the best grinder out there is the one from Tradesman, which is DC and variable speed. I am fairly sure it was designed for sharpening the carbide bits on CNC machines.

The woodturning world is in desperate need for a dust collection system for our grinders that is 'affordable'.....

robo hippy

I'm in the process of replacing a grinder that died, after a life of good service. Over the years of my wood turning efforts I've had to replace a few. Why do grinders come with mounted wheels that are never really the wheels you want? Why do some come with lights (even if they are not the best grinders) and others not? My basic question is why can't we buy a grinder with no accessories?

I understand that the stores want to sell a "ready to use" tool, but a grinder with even the best wheels on it isn't ready to use unless they were balanced at the factory. I'll admit that a "general use" grinder might be a good product for the casual user and perhaps should be marketed, but a VS or slow speed is aimed at a more sophisticated market and could easily be sold as a raw machine without guards or tool rests or wheels.

OK, I know the answer to my question, but I'll still raise the issue. I just bought a new Delta VS at my local Lowes (off the shelf) as my old one died. I spent hours setting it up (without first testing it from the package with the supplied wheels). I mounted it on my platform with the Oneway Wolverine jigs and realigned everything, and replaced the factory wheels with my CBNs. I spun it up and found an underlying motor "hum" at speed that increased in volume if I raised the speed (then dropped out when I reduced it and the wheels were driven only by momentum, but came back when they were driven by the motor). A light touch with an old tool on the wheel added enough to the load that the volume of the hum rose. At that point I decided I had a motor problem that would soon become expensive.

I am awaiting delivery of a Rikon 80-805 slow speed, which has lousy reviews for the tool rests and wheels (as do most grinders of any speed unless you can afford a Jet or a Baldor). I chose to go to the single speed as it has less electronics to go wrong (no potentiometer). I'll return my Delta to Lowes (I replaced the orginal wheels and it is so out of balance I can barely find the "hum" of overwork, but it is there).

I confess I'm an old curmudgeon, but I do hate waste. Every grinder I've ever bought had wheels I had to give away or throw away, and since I've been using the Oneway Wolverine jigs for resting my tools I've been throwing away tool rests. And since I've had my CBN wheels (about 4 years) I've had to throw away the wheel guards and associated stuff.

Why can't they offer us the option for a nice raw grinder?

Best, Jon
I'm sure the manufacturer would gladly remove a bunch of the components and charge us double for a "Professional woodturner's grinder". Especially since they may sell 10,000 a year of the other version, and would sell maybe 100 woodturner special grinders a year. It would a short term marketing plan though, with the aging demographic of woodturners. We are a niche market you know, and shrinking every year. Especially shrinking market as many of us have more than enough tools to get us to the end.

I have the Rikon low speed grinder, got it on sale at WC. So far, so good. The factory wheels do what I want and I can hit the tool with a DMT diamond file. Went to the GA symposium last year. CBN wheels seem to be the cat's meow but out of the budget for now.

Absolute stupidity on the part of this seller. There's a reason the first chapter of the instruction manual of virtually every power tool sold these days covers safety issues. They have to since we're in such a litigious society.

From Googling "Rikon instruction manual", page 6.
Basic precautions should always be followed when using your bench grinder. To reduce the risk of injury, electrical shock, or fire, comply with the safety rules listed below:
1. ALWAYS USE THE EYE SHIELDS AND WHEEL GUARDS provided with the grinder.

Back