• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood ring for the wife?

Recently, she asked about a wood ring made by yours truly. OK, where do I start? Need all the details you can share. TIA.

I've bought from the Bangle Guy, http://www.bangleguy.com/RIng_Supplies.html
But also made a few "plywood" blanks from scrap exotics.
Epoxy the plies, wrap in wax paper like a small package then c clamp.
For drilling the finger hole, double stick tape, drill, shape, reverse, shape some more.
Mandrel (self made) for turning the outside looks almost like a double ended morse taper.
Turning the mandrel from a "softer" hardwood will not be as durable but will grip the ring better.
Finish so far has been CA glue.

Thanks to all. Got to do my homework here. I do have lots of wood that would (no pun intended) look good.

Just got through looking at Woodturners Emporium and Craft Supplies online catalogues. I like the selection of Craft Supplies but like the glue grooves n the WE ring cores. Also I saved a link the WE on aggieturners video on making a ring mandrel out of wood. CS has a great video! Now to plow through all of this and see what SWMBO wants for a ring. Might make a few to show a craft store that in interested in seeing my pens. Again, thanks!

One of our new high school turners, who has some home based woodworking experience prior to turning, is gung ho on turning rings, but he doesn't want to use the metal base. I gave him a chunk of pistachio that looked real interesting and he's been working on that, but any single grain-oriented ring is going to crack at some point. In gluing up 'plywood' blanks out of hardwood, how many layers would be necessary, do you suppose? Would gluing up 2-3 layers of face/flat grain oriented wood at 90 degree offset be sufficient? What if we glued up a sandwich of face-end-face grain layers--would that be more or less resistant to breaking?

Thanks for your help. (And my apologies for poaching SWMBO's thread, Gramps)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
One of our new high school turners, who has some home based woodworking experience prior to turning, is gung ho on turning rings, but he doesn't want to use the metal base. I gave him a chunk of pistachio that looked real interesting and he's been working on that, but any single grain-oriented ring is going to crack at some point. In gluing up 'plywood' blanks out of hardwood, how many layers would be necessary, do you suppose? Would gluing up 2-3 layers of face/flat grain oriented wood at 90 degree offset be sufficient? What if we glued up a sandwich of face-end-face grain layers--would that be more or less resistant to breaking?

Thanks for your help. (And my apologies for poaching SWMBO's thread, Gramps)

I don't think that the end grain would be very strong. I think the main problem isn't wood movement, but rather external things like bumping against things or gripping things firmly. If the wood were stabilized with thin CA or Minwax Wood Hardener it might help a little.

I bought some of the Craft Supplies ring cores and was surprised at how thick they were. I got busy with other stuff and never completed a ring, but the wood would have to be very very thin if one were to wear one of these rings for any amount of time. A handshake with my test ring was a painful experience.

John, thanks for sharing the personal experience. The wife was getting to ready to watch a neighbor's little girl and asked if I had ordered any ring stuff. Told her no but we would look at CS and order.

Back