• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum Pump Recommendations

I am interested in your recommendations for a vacuum pump (manufacturer, model, specifications) for a vacuum chuck system.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
There was a thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago. Do a search for “vacuum” in the search box above.

It would help to know your frequency of use, and an expected duty cycle. I like my Harbor Freight pump, does a great job for me. Others will tell you to buy something that cost 3 times as much. Easy to buy any vacuum pump, but what quality is needed to meet your expectations is the tough part.

It would help to know your frequency of use, and an expected duty cycle. I like my Harbor Freight pump, does a great job for me. Others will tell you to buy something that cost 3 times as much. Easy to buy any vacuum pump, but what quality is needed to meet your expectations is the tough part.
Richard, I also have a HF Vac Pump, the bigger one, a 3 cfm 2 stage pump, still new in the box. I would like to build a vac system with it to replace my venturi system [Hold Fast] and If you would not mind, I have a question.
How do you deal with the oil exhaust mist? I've heard of everything from steel wool to first aid gauze to filter that mist, or perhaps a direct vent to the outside. How do you take care of that in your shop?

I also have the two stage HF vacuum pump and was surprised by the amount of oil mist it produced. I built a filter that has been working for me for four years without any problems. Several turners (with one exception) have built it without any problems, so it may or may not work for you. The link to a PDF on how to make one is http://aggieturner.com/exhaust filter for harbor freight oil vacuum pump.pdf.

Richard, I also have a HF Vac Pump, the bigger one, a 3 cfm 2 stage pump, still new in the box. I would like to build a vac system with it to replace my venturi system [Hold Fast] and If you would not mind, I have a question.
How do you deal with the oil exhaust mist? I've heard of everything from steel wool to first aid gauze to filter that mist, or perhaps a direct vent to the outside. How do you take care of that in your shop?
I first put an inline gas filter on it. Worked well, but not for long. Now I run 1/4" plastic tubing into a 1 gallon paint can with some balled up paper towels above the outlet of the tubing. I don't see any oil vapor in the air, and haven't done anything with that can after a year. I guess I should look into the can and see if any oil has condensed in it. From what I understand, vacuum pump oil is a mineral oil that has been through a distillation process. I've never been highly concerned about a little mist in the air, but the can and paper towels seem to contain it very well.

I first put an inline gas filter on it. Worked well, but not for long. Now I run 1/4" plastic tubing into a 1 gallon paint can with some balled up paper towels above the outlet of the tubing. I don't see any oil vapor in the air, and haven't done anything with that can after a year. I guess I should look into the can and see if any oil has condensed in it. From what I understand, vacuum pump oil is a mineral oil that has been through a distillation process. I've never been highly concerned about a little mist in the air, but the can and paper towels seem to contain it very well.
What a simple, yet elegant solution! Thank you Sir! If I may indulge another question...am I correct in thinking that your paint can has a lid on it, with a hole for the tubing and the tubing reaches to near the bottom of the can, then the paper towels.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You won't have the oil mist problem if you get a dry rotary vane pump or a rocking piston type pump. I got my Gast vacuum pump on eBay for about $25. It has been used in a lab and was being sold as surplus. It was essentially brand new when I got it.

I took a look Bill. They have a 1/4 hp for $565, a 1/2 hp for $859, and a 1 hp for $1087. Which is the correct size to get? IF I could get a suitable and safe use out of the HF pump I have on hand, seems that would make sense. I would have already made the hookup if not for the mist thing, but in my memory seems I read a couple of times of successful HF pump setups that captured the oil mist. I was too busy at the time to explore it, but do want to improve my vacuum setup over the HoldFast venturi system I have now.......on some woods it really does well, on some it won't hardly get a hold, not close to what is needed for a safe hold.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I took a look Bill. They have a 1/4 hp for $565, a 1/2 hp for $859, and a 1 hp for $1087. Which is the correct size to get? IF I could get a suitable and safe use out of the HF pump I have on hand, seems that would make sense. I would have already made the hookup if not for the mist thing, but in my memory seems I read a couple of times of successful HF pump setups that captured the oil mist. I was too busy at the time to explore it, but do want to improve my vacuum setup over the HoldFast venturi system I have now.......on some woods it really does well, on some it won't hardly get a hold, not close to what is needed for a safe hold.

Are you speaking of the Gast vacuum pumps? Mine is the 1/4 HP dry rotary vane pump. They also have a wet rotary vane pump, but it has the oil mist issue. Prices of new vacuum pumps have gone through the roof in the past few years. Craft supplies used to sell the same model that I have ... maybe they still do. I would say that the Frugal vacuum pumps are by far the best deal these days.

I don't think $25 for a Gast pump is a realistic expectation these days, probably more like 10 times that. However, if you keep your eyes open, you can find something affordable. Keep in mind, you need at least 3 cfm, and used pumps may need refurbishing to restore full suction. I think my rebuild kit was about $15 and easily done, though it was for a different variety of pump than Gast.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't think $25 for a Gast pump is a realistic expectation these days, probably more like 10 times that. However, if you keep your eyes open, you can find something affordable. Keep in mind, you need at least 3 cfm, and used pumps may need refurbishing to restore full suction. I think my rebuild kit was about $15 and easily done, though it was for a different variety of pump than Gast.

You are right. It's much harder to find really great deals on eBay these days, but once in a blue moon you might find something like that.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
You are right. It's much harder to find really great deals on eBay these days, but once in a blue moon you might find something like that.
Bill and I are proof you can still find amazing deals on Ebay. We got our 3M Versaflo helmets at a fraction of it´s cost. Also look on your local Craigslist for a used pump, I have found better deals locally on some items. I agree that the Frugal vacuum site has the best deal. That’s what I have.

Back