• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rethinking Woodturning Demonstrations - Using Live Video

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
  • Should be lots of fun... hope to see/meet/chat with many of you at these events![/QUOTE]
I downloaded the App for the simposium. Looks great. I already have the special night interest in my schedule. Also checked Lucid Woodturners in the vendors area... See you soon.

Everyone seems to be tight lipped on what the demonstrators are charging for these demos. Someone told me that Lyle Jamison wants $300. Alan, Emiiano what do you charge?
Bill: I can tell you what our club was charged. The more nationally know presenters are charging $300 (Jamison, Mahoney, Bosch) and we paid (or will soon) pay $200 for Emiliano, Alan Z, and Mike Peace. It's a good deal for everyone.

been a while since anyone added to this thread but I hope many continue to view it. For clubs thinking about doing this. here is a fresh link to the article I referred to earlier discussing what a club needs to know: Remote Demonstrations Also here is a short video that I took while our club watched Cindy Drozda doing her first live remote at our December, 2018 meeting.

Cindi Droza remote Central Arkansas Woodturners 12/8/2018

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread started back in 2016 shortly after Alan did a presentation to the 2016 AAW symposium. It's taken some time, but this method of presentation is evolutionary and I'm happy to say, accelerating. Our club (Central Arkansas Woodturners) has fully embraced this format hosting one every other month since September 2017. We just finished our 8th last Saturday (2/11/2019) and will host 5-6 more through the rest of the year. The number of demonstrators is growing. The AAW is making a good start at helping clubs find demonstrators with the Demonstrator Direct Database they introduced last summer. Unfortunately of the 35 people who checked off the "live remote demo" box only 10 actually do them. I have compiled a list of my own that can be viewed at More Woodturning Online, along with an article I wrote to give clubs information on what they need in order to take advantage of this new medium. All of the demonstrators listed have done demo's to our club or are scheduled currently. I will update this list as soon as I confirm a reservation to demo for our club. Also for clubs, I did a 3 minute walk around the room with my video camera on during our December remote demo so you can see how it works. click here: Central Arkansas Woodturners host's Cindy Drozda Dec. 2018 . Feel free to contact me for more information.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Dave removed the YouTube video, so the link in message 46 no longer works. It’s been replaced by the link in #47

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
@AlanZ , thanks for clarifying things. I edited post 46 to show the video that is also shown in in post 47. I also corrected the spelling of Cindy Drozda's name and corrected the date from December 2019 to December 2018 since I assume that no time traveling was involved. :D

Back