• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sawdust Broom

Looking for input on brooms you folks like for sawdust on a broom finished concrete floor.

Any input/advice is welcome!!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have a huge collection of brooms, but mostly use a push broom and a heavy duty straw broom. I have a couple o the giant sized aluminum dust pans. If I'm on the driveway, I do the final clean up with an air nozzle. If I'm in the garage then I use the shop vac for final cleanup. It hardly needs to be said, but before going in the house I use the air nozzle to clean all the dust and shavings off my shoes and clothing.

Kind of like Al says, big pooper scooper, rake, push broom with fine bristles, standard kitchen broom, hand brooms and brushes. It gets dusty sweeping up. Some times wetting the shavings a bit helps keep it down... I do like the contractor grade 50 gallon trash bags for bowl turning days, and the wheel barrow...

robo hippy

I just borrow the one my wife rides.......

Now just stop. That was a joke. My wife is an angel and would be the very last woman to whom one would apply such a pejorative sobriquet. I was just pulling all y'alls legs.

I've got a standard nylon bristle broom, and it misses a lot of stuff when using it--I was just looking for a consensus--I was wanting to stay away from a push broom, but I'm a big Never say Never guy so.....

I keep an old unused 5 inch wide pain brush to brush off the machines, and an angled kitchen broom for the floor. I use the dumper hopper my wife got to clean up dog piles and use that to sweep the shavings, dust etc into the dumper, then a quick shop vac for the rest. I keep a plastic 30 gallon drum for the shavings. The shavings get dumped down in the compost pile every month or two.

The fine bristle brooms like the horsehair brooms work the best on fine dust, they also make some fine bristle brooms from polymers these days that work almost as well as the horsehair brooms. The finish on the concrete floor also makes a difference on how well fine dust gets swept up, in our food grade facilities we have been resurfacing the floors with epoxy and stone particulate coatings, very hard and durable surface when done and easy to keep clean. Sweeping up fine materials from these surfaces is a lot easier then bare concrete.

I use my boat broom. It is soft, dense and has an extendable boom and has a garden hose attachment which I use for a car wash every now and then.

Dirt and dust is endless.

My cleaning has evolved over the years to a snow shovel for the bulk. I use my Oneida as a full shop filter with its input duct aimed about midway to the ceiling and floor. I blow off my lathe and counter tops with either a small electric leaf blower or a compressor. I leave the area and five-ten minutes later, after the air has been filtered by my dust collection system, I repeat the above step with the settled dust being reblown into to the corner with the air compressor nozzle. Usually during the dust collection process, I m out side the turning room blowing off my shoes and clothes while the lathe room’s air is getting filtered. Usually two or three cycles and things are fairly dust proof. I rarely vacuum. If I do, it’s usually the next time in the shop. (Only if I’m getting visitors)

Back