• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sapele?

We get scraps of Sapele from boat restoration work. The small dry pieces we find make great stoppers and pens. To me it turns easier than walnut and oak.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
One of our club members brings a pickup of cutoffs from a cabinet shop every other meeting.
Sapele, oak, maple, poplar....

Turns well. Most pieces are not very interesting unless you add the interest.

Two Sapele handles on Jamieson gouges 5113FB7A-31B6-49DB-9671-0AA07CBDB7B3.jpeg

I finished Seed jar form awaiting a design B6DD146E-D726-4234-9BF2-00B4E13AF9A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Even with my less than ideal sharpening techniques I had no problem with Sapele. I bought a grab bag of it from Woodcraft last time they had it on sale. Still have the small little pen blanks that were in there.

Attachments

• DSC05353.JPG
    DSC05353.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
This is a bowl I did with Sapele. It has a very nice grain that changes as you rotate it after finishing.
Bobby that change is called Chatoyance (pronounced sha-toy-ance). A french word meaning cat's eye for the way the grain appears to move below the surface..Many woods can have this effect due to grain structure. Oh and nice bowl.

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
The Lord blessed me with an abundance of Sapele cut offs from a local milling company. I gave the owner a really fine 18" salad bowl and he gave me all his cut off's and most was sapele. It turns wonderfully and it is even good to pierce. Finishes beautifully Here are few pieces from sapele. The quartersawn lumber gives you the shimmering look

Attachments

• Wood burnt Tree.jpg
    Wood burnt Tree.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 37
  • sapele and ebony lidded bowl.jpg
    sapele and ebony lidded bowl.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 36
  • sapele square bowl.jpg
    sapele square bowl.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 15 sapele platter.jpg
    15 sapele platter.jpg