• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need Sage Advice on Sharpening "Stub" Gouges

Need some ideas on how to sharpen a stub - datapoints are:
  • D-Way Bowl Gouges: 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and one Thompson 3/4"
  • Wolverine sharpening system
  • 8" CBN wheels
  • I have both Vari-Grinds - use only the small, even for the 3/4"
My grind calls for about a 2" extension beyond the Vari-Grind. When the white plastic pressure bearing starts riding up on the back of the flute, it will slip during sharpening.
Would love to know how some of you guys have solved - I need to keep my Rupe Goldberg tendencies at bay a little longer.

Stand for Planet Mesquite will, hopefully, be done in a few weeks - will initially use shot-filled Baltic birch for base - then going to granite - can't be under 300-lbs. Rupe would be proud. Will send pics.

To Bill Boehme and others in NTX area - I'm doing the demo 3rd week August - come on over or down or up. I'll have Planet Mesquite at the meeting, hopefully on the stand. You'll see proof that God protects fools and dumb animals.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
If I understand you correctly, you could grind a flat spot on the shaft. I’ve shown below what I had to do. The old gouge is on top; the bottom one is the new one.

674DB17D-2ECF-4235-AFBA-6CE5B1C4371B.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Rich

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ditto on rich’s Solution.

I often cover this in demos and there are usually a few grateful people in the audience.

A couple screen shots from a demo.

Grind a flat on the bar in line with the top of the flute
55C0BB7F-B4D7-4EB7-98F8-A49BCFB99CDA.jpeg

How far you want it to protrude but it can’t until you grind it flat

17E9DD65-D640-4713-B059-D274F90A56C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
In addition to, or instead of, grinding the flat, you can reduce the 2" extension by about 3/4" or so and readjust the V-arm to regain the desired nose angle. The limiting factor is maintaining clearance between the jig and the grinding wheel when grinding the wings. For short fingernail grinds, the effect on the shape of the wings will be inconsequential. For long side-grinds, the same exact profile as before can be obtained by adjusting both the arm angle and the V-arm.

It gets to a point where only hand sharpening will work and/or you turn it into a triangle tool...

robo hippy

John, had the same problem, here is my solution... A little widget made from 1/8 X 3/4 aluminum stock. (Because that's what was close at hand) From the pics you can see how it spans the transition area until the bearing can get a stable footing. Still have to grind a flat, as the flat indexes/orients the flute, but no need to grind until after the widget has done its job.
inside.jpeg
Widget inside vari-grind, without it, bearing would rest on transition.
outside.jpeg
As the gouge shortens, the widget moves thru the vari-grind.
Now is the time to grind the flat.
on flat.jpeg
Here's the bearing sitting on the flat.
widgit.jpeg
The "step" on the widget has a little bevel so it can get closer to the transition
and is just stuck on with double stick tape.
This was made a couple of years ago as a proof of concept and I'm going to make a better one eventually, however, this one still has some life left in it... When not in use, I stick it to the magnet on the side of my grinder...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Need some ideas on how to sharpen a stub - datapoints are:
  • D-Way Bowl Gouges: 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and one Thompson 3/4"
  • Wolverine sharpening system
  • 8" CBN wheels
  • I have both Vari-Grinds - use only the small, even for the 3/4"
My grind calls for about a 2" extension beyond the Vari-Grind. When the white plastic pressure bearing starts riding up on the back of the flute, it will slip during sharpening.
Would love to know how some of you guys have solved - I need to keep my Rupe Goldberg tendencies at bay a little longer.

Stand for Planet Mesquite will, hopefully, be done in a few weeks - will initially use shot-filled Baltic birch for base - then going to granite - can't be under 300-lbs. Rupe would be proud. Will send pics.

To Bill Boehme and others in NTX area - I'm doing the demo 3rd week August - come on over or down or up. I'll have Planet Mesquite at the meeting, hopefully on the stand. You'll see proof that God protects fools and dumb animals.

I know this is way out in left field, but in addition to the more sensible frugal suggestions, you could consider buying one or two gouges from Wood World since they allow the Dallas club to meet in their facility. :D

I'll try to make it over there for the August meeting. I need to talk to our programs director about getting you over to our club if you don't mind slumming.

Of the suggestions, grinding a flat back from the flute allows business as usual when sharpening - I run six-gouges in parallel - one or two being different would screw up my rather delicate psyche.
Bill: Love those guys at Wood World but they don't carry D-Way. As I am increasingly focused on mistletoe burl mesquite, I find a considerable difference between the M42 of D-Way and the other guys.
And Bill: Looking forward to meeting you in August. And contrary to comments from your Amon Carter, you don't have to pack your lunch. And I would be honored to visit your club located where "East peters out"

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Of the suggestions, grinding a flat back from the flute allows business as usual when sharpening - I run six-gouges in parallel - one or two being different would screw up my rather delicate psyche.
Bill: Love those guys at Wood World but they don't carry D-Way. As I am increasingly focused on mistletoe burl mesquite, I find a considerable difference between the M42 of D-Way and the other guys.
And Bill: Looking forward to meeting you in August. And contrary to comments from your Amon Carter, you don't have to pack your lunch. And I would be honored to visit your club located where "East peters out"

Even though I have a substantial pile of 10V tools and think they are very good, I have become very impressed with the M42 bowl gouges from D-Way. Being a tool junkie I also feel compelled to try out the new carburized bowl gouges from Robust.

Our club meets in far east Fort Worth (used to be Handley) so we're in no man's land 'tween east and west.

Back