• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Mr. Calabash" David Chung

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that we have lost a great friend, a great woodturner, husband, father, and grandfather: David Chung. David is known to many because he was the point man for the traveling woodturners visiting Hawaii. I got to know him well because of that, arranging travel and schedules. He also picked me up and hosted me when I did the Honolulu Woodturners SYmposium, and then later he picked Wayne Omura and me up, and we spent the day with Oahu legend AAW member number 17 Ron Kent. We spent a few days at my shop in Maui, hr did a club demo, and we turned a few calabashes. He went back home happy, with a suitcase full of Koa, all 50 pounds of it, as part payment and thank you for his demo. My wife was in the hospital in Honolulu, with just a few days before Raleigh, I called David, and he let me use his shop to practice chasing threads. And of course, we turned some calabashes. I brought one home, made by me, tweaked a little by David, out of Cuban Mahogany. I'm really going to miss you old friend, make sure you tell Ron I say hello, I hope you guys are mot making a mess with all the Cook Pine shavings in heaven!! A Hui Ho, till we meet again. Aloha
The picture is of David and me, relaxing by his beloved Kaneohe Bay. That's his neighbor's yard, a lifelong friend...

Attachments

• Kaneohe.JPG
    Kaneohe.JPG
    588.2 KB · Views: 99
Emiliano,
I am sorry to hear of David’s passing and about the loss of your friend. Last year at the Portland AAW Symposium which was my first event, I had the pleasure of meeting David. He was a very approachable and personable fellow (the kind who would give you his card and invite you to come to his shop whenever you visited his beautiful island). I only wish I took him up on that offer when I passed through Honolulu last fall. Thank you for sharing this sad news and I am sure that he will be missed by many. Wishing his family well.

Back