• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Historical Wood Opportunity

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I was given yet more wood by the church. The tree has been tentatively identified as European Yew. The tree was planted was Saint Father Damien in front of the Nun's building, where Hawaii's other Saint lived: Saint Marianne Copp. Both of them walked by this tree for many years. I have a nice size chunk of wood. I'm offering the opportunity to have some of this wood. But, there is a catch. If you tell me you want a Pen blank, you have to turn one for the church. Pen blanks can go in a small USPS box, you have to pay for the postage. For those that want to turn a bowl or a goblet, a medium flat rate box should be enough to turn a piece for you and send one back for the church. A small box also comes to mind... Some of the items that we donate will be on display at the church, others, put up for sale to parishioners as a fundraiser. If you are interested send me a private message. Some people might be allergic to Yew. I already turned a small bowl and had no problems at all.

Attachments

• IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 234

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
That's a really big chunk of wood. I think that your truck is more rusty than mine.
I just keep fixing the old truck. I use her for gathering wood and going to the rubbish dump. Bought her new in 2007, she only has 75.000 miles! You can't drive much here... That is one big chunk of wood! That's why I'm offering some. Feels very special to have a small bowl here, in the house, made with this wood that was graced by the presence of 2 Saints. I will make the same offer to the woodworkers guild here on the Island.

Sign me up! I'd be happy to turn a bowl for the church in exchange for a blank for myself. I'm pretty comfortable up to 8x8x3 or so.

Since this is fresh cut (?) I assume that a fair amount of drying is in order.

This seems like a cool opportunity to create something form a historic piece of wood.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Sign me up! I'd be happy to turn a bowl for the church in exchange for a blank for myself. I'm pretty comfortable up to 8x8x3 or so.

Since this is fresh cut (?) I assume that a fair amount of drying is in order.

This seems like a cool opportunity to create something form a historic piece of wood.
I'm sorry, with all the excitement, I forgot to mention the tree went down in a storm about 20 years ago. Wood is dry. Well, as dry as dry is here in Maui, about 14.2 at my place. I will cut some for you to fit a medium flat rate box. I'm happy that you will be turning some of this. I will need your address... Merry Christmas, Aloha

Sorry for the delay - was travelling the last week few days. My address is:

Matthew Ferriter
107 Wolfs Trail
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Let me know the address to return the finished product. With my current schedule, it could be a couple of weeks, if that's OK.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Sorry for the delay - was travelling the last week few days. My address is:

Matthew Ferriter
107 Wolfs Trail
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Let me know the address to return the finished product. With my current schedule, it could be a couple of weeks, if that's OK.
No problem at all, totally understandable, after all, it's the holidays. Also, no problem on the time it will take you to turn the item, no pressure. I will cut a blank
this week and mail it to you. Happy new year.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I was given yet more wood by the church. The tree has been tentatively identified as European Yew. The tree was planted was Saint Father Damien in front of the Nun's building, where Hawaii's other Saint lived: Saint Marianne Copp. Both of them walked by this tree for many years. I have a nice size chunk of wood. I'm offering the opportunity to have some of this wood. But, there is a catch. If you tell me you want a Pen blank, you have to turn one for the church. Pen blanks can go in a small USPS box, you have to pay for the postage. For those that want to turn a bowl or a goblet, a medium flat rate box should be enough to turn a piece for you and send one back for the church. A small box also comes to mind... Some of the items that we donate will be on display at the church, others, put up for sale to parishioners as a fundraiser. If you are interested send me a private message. Some people might be allergic to Yew. I already turned a small bowl and had no problems at all.
Emiliano, I would love to make a 'half twist' bowl for the church. Send me a block of wood in the medium USPS box and I'll send back a finished bowl.

Brian Horais
1112 Cotton Briar Way
Knoxville, TN 37923

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, I would love to make a 'half twist' bowl for the church. Send me a block of wood in the medium USPS box and I'll send back a finished bowl.

Brian Horais
1112 Cotton Briar Way
Knoxville, TN 37923
I'm excited that you will doing something for the church! Thank you. I will be cutting some blanks this week, Happy new year Brian! Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I finally had some time today and I cut wood for the 3 of you that have taken up my offer. Thank you for doing this. I will be packing it this weekend, boxes should go out by Monday. Take a look at the grain, looks very nice!

Attachments

• IMG_7081.JPG
    IMG_7081.JPG
    772 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7082.JPG
    IMG_7082.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 99
  • new_yew.JPG
    new_yew.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 93

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Beautiful color and grain patterns! Looking forward to working with the yew and making something for you (couldn't resist) and the church
Today I made a goblet for the church. Well, I'm calling this one a practice run. I'm no spindle turner, lol. When I was parting it off the lathe, I lost the grip, rolled off and onto the floor. Broke right at the stem below the cup. It was weak to start with, I ended up with sap there. I glued it.. I'm turning another one tomorrow. Take a look at the wood, looks beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_7095.jpg
    IMG_7095.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 83
I like the use of historical wood. I have two fairly large pieces of red elm that stood at Wheatland, President Buchanan's home near Lancaster PA. Add to that a piece of catalpa from there..I recently heard of a fellow selling a few pen blacks from wood salvaged from Old Ironsides. I am told that some historical sites have gotten very restrictive about what happens to wood that is replaced in renovations and restorations.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I would like to have two blanks for myself and will make two pens to mail back.
Jim Selby
2220 Winding Creek lane
Jacksonville, Florida 32246
Thank you Jim! I was hoping a pen maker would join us! Can you tell me the minimum size that you need? Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Received the wood blank, really nice will probably get started on it tonight or tomorrow. I really appreciate this opportunity.
Glad you got the package! If you got enough wood, if you can do it, I would like a fountain pen, I collect them. I can pay you, or we can trade for some Koa or I have a very nice super curly Mango. If you need more of the Father Damien wood, I can also send more. Thank you Jim!

I have never made a fountain pen but will see what I can do. This wood is very hard to turn, I have to stabilize it with ca before drilling or turning, just a heads up for anyone using it.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have never made a fountain pen but will see what I can do. This wood is very hard to turn, I have to stabilize it with ca before drilling or turning, just a heads up for anyone using it.
Jim, I appreciate you considering it, but do not go out of your way, if you can, fine, I'm ok either way. I was able to cut it nicely and left a glossy finish with a 3/8 Thompson bowl gouge with a 40/40 grind.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
View attachment 31574Two pens I have made from the wood Emiliano provided still have to make the fountain pen. I just got the kit and realized I don't have the insert for the squaring drill so back to woodcraft to get that and start on it.
Beautiful work! You have to tell me the cost of the fountain pen, or if you want to trade. I really appreciate it. It sounds like fun, another trip to Woodcraft! I wish I could say that, on the other hand, it might be dangerous for my wallet!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I would like some to make a rosary box for your church and my church St. Thomas Aquinas for our fund raiser. Ken Walker 1645 Randy Dr Cookeville TN 38501,
Like 3x4 piece
Sounds like a great project. I'll mail you some pieces. Thank you

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
yew 2a.jpg
I'm excited that you will doing something for the church! Thank you. I will be cutting some blanks this week, Happy new year Brian! Aloha
Emiliano,
here's an image of the completed 7-inch diameter bowl. I really enjoyed turning this bowl and will hold on to it for a few more weeks (to enjoy it!) before returning it to you in Maui.
Thanks Emiliano!

Brian Horais
Knoxville, TN

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, Kelly Dunn tells me that this is Monkeypod - so I updated my writeup
Kelly is trying to help, but nobody knows yet what we have. I have pieces of the bark of this wood and I can guarantee you this is not Monkeypod. At least not the one we have in Hawaii because I'm told there are several Monkeypods around the world. There were only 2 of these trees in all of Hawaii. There are thousands of Monkeypod. I have 7 monkeypods on my place, I have turned some, Monkeypod is denser than this. This wood is on the soft side. What we do know is that the wood came from the grounds where Father Damen lived for many years, the tree was right in front of the nun's quarters... Thank you for doing this Brian. The bowl looks stunning!! I'll keep you updated, we are still doing research on the tree, we are hoping to find an old picture and see what type it is.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Thanks Emiliano. Whatever wood it is, it sure has beautiful color and grain patterns. I agree that it is a little soft (and fibrous), but I really enjoyed uncovering the 'beauty within'. Keep me posted on the wood origins research.
Brian

Fr. Damian is one of my favorite saints. I would be honored to turn a bowl for you. I will also include one from a whole hickory tree a friend cut up and delivered to my house. I would also be willing to send you some billets of hickory if this is a wood you cannot get local. Some of it seems to have worm holes but that adds to its character :) No Charge of course. I'll just send them in the same box as the Bowl
Pat Patterson
115 E Poplar or PO Box 658
Cobden Il. 62920

IMG_20200120_144227669.jpg

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Fr. Damian is one of my favorite saints. I would be honored to turn a bowl for you. I will also include one from a whole hickory tree a friend cut up and delivered to my house. I would also be willing to send you some billets of hickory if this is a wood you cannot get local. Some of it seems to have worm holes but that adds to its character :) No Charge of course. I'll just send them in the same box as the Bowl
Pat Patterson
115 E Poplar or PO Box 658
Cobden Il. 62920

View attachment 31632
I finally got around to cutting some more of the wood. Got to box it up and I will mail it this week to Pat and Kenneth. That makes it 7 boxes to Mainland turners! I'm humbled by their generosity
In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to have some good chips on your side when we face Saint Peter, LOL

I Emiliano
I got my wood today thank you. I will get to it as soon as I get over the flu I came down with yesterday.
The wood does look like some monkey pod, I got some from a man here in town that brings over wood to carve with chain saws Brad Sells is his name.
It is very light in weight.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I Emiliano
I got my wood today thank you. I will get to it as soon as I get over the flu I came down with yesterday.
The wood does look like some monkey pod, I got some from a man here in town that brings over wood to carve with chain saws Brad Sells is his name.
It is very light in weight.
Kelly Dunn, a turner from the Big Island that has turned a lot more different woods than me, I'm stuck on Koa and Milo, LOL tells me he thinks it is Earpod. I saw the bark, I'm not totally convinced of the species yet, bottom line, this wood came from the holy grounds of St Anthony church, where Father Damien and Sister Mary Ann Copp both lived. The land for this church and school was given to the Missionary fathers by King Kamehameha. I'm glad you got the wood.I hope you feel better soon! Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
View attachment 31574Two pens I have made from the wood Emiliano provided still have to make the fountain pen. I just got the kit and realized I don't have the insert for the squaring drill so back to woodcraft to get that and start on it.
Jim, let me know if you want me to reimburse you for the fountain pen, or if you prefer some nice Koa to make some more pens. I'm ok either way, I always like to help veterans, again, thank you for your service. Aloha

Emiliano,
Finished bowl for you. It will go in the mail tomorrow included a couple small things for your wife and some wood for you.

Pat

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_140452076.jpg
    IMG_20200218_140452076.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 34

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Put 25dollars in the plate Sunday and call it even.
Sounds good Jim. But, to make it even, I want to send you some wood for some pens. I got some super curly mango, I can cut some for you. I gave the church person the pen yesterday. he loved it! Someone gave me several brand new boxes to put in pens. Can you use some of those? They are very fancy looking. I love my fountain pen Jim. You did a great Job.

Back