• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What turning means to me.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's hard to describe what Woodturning has meant to me. I was at a low point in life mentally and financially. I had a Shopsmith but couldn't afford wood. I mostly built jewelry boxes out of wood from pallets. Back in those days if you went to your local.japanese motorcycle.dealer you could get pallets made of mahagony, curly maple and other fun woods. All small of course so that rules out building furniture which I enjoyed. I was fortunate enough to make friends with Joe Looper who worked at the Appalachian center for craft as a maintenance man but had a turning studio in their woodshop area. Joe turned nothing but green wood on a massive lathe. It was 5hp with 54" swing. Joe had a wall full of tools that were 6 to 8 feet long. Green wood turning was new to.me and was absolutely perfect for that time.in my life. I lived in the woods so the wood was free. I didn't have a chainsaw so I cut the logs.with a.bow saw and used an axe and hatchet to get them on the lathe. Shortly after that I learned about the Tennessee Association of woodturners and the AAW. What a life changing experience. Everyone was so helpful and sharing. Turning was the perfect fit for me. I worked 50,60 hours a week which left little time for wood working. Turning was different. I could go to the shop and just make a wine stopper. A quick inexpensive project that made a great gift. Then a.friend gave.me a truck load of end cuts off of hardwoods that were too small. To.run through a planer. What do you make with that. Again wood turning came to the rescue. I started making hand mirrors and ornaments and just about anything that could be glued together to get the proper size.
Then the internet came along. I found a place called rec.crafts.woodturning. you could learn a little but it was a nasty place with lots of people wanting to bad mouth you. Shortly after that woodcentral and the AAW came along. What a change. Friendly wonderful helpful people. Ive learned so much and had so much fun. I finally reached a point where I could afford to go to a few symposiums and actually meet some of those people. If there is one thing I have learned from this, it is, the more you give the more you get out of it. So i urge you to jump in. Volunteer to help another turner, help out at your local club. if you get to attend a symposium volunteer to help out any way you can. I guarantee it will pay you back. Well that was a long way to say I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. May your turning improve and your tools.stay sharp.

Thanks John, and a Merry Christmas & happy New Year to you. You know, I think we all find inspiration from one another. I truly enjoyed watching your progress as you relocated twice, and got your shop going in both places. I face relocation before long, and my shop will be one of my big priorities. Sharing your journey building your shop helped me see that difficulties can be dispensed with, and things can take shape fairly quickly. Thanks again!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks for the insight, John........Merry Christmas! :D

......And.......We do need to see some current pictures of your new shop, just to see how that's coming along. (I'm jealous, you know! :rolleyes:)

-----odie-----

John, you've been extremely generous in helping others with your comments and videos and demonstrations, and have given a great deal to our community. Thank YOU. And may you never have a low point again.

Thanks for sharing your story John. Merry Christmas to you and all your family. I spent about five hours last week teaching a lady to turn. She had a blast but so did I. Giving is such a treat and a blessing to be able to do and fortunately, the wood turning community is good at it. Cheers and Happy New Year all!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I wish he had lived long enough to get the 8 foot lathe working. We took a trip to mill.creek machine shopp to show it to me. That thing had an 8 foot faceplate on it. Awesome.

John, thanks for sharing your story. Forum members, I have known John for several years and he demonstrates the willingness of the AAW members and forum members to share and help in any way. He has some great YT videos that I review from time to time.

Thanks for sharing your story, its really helpful for right now. I have a very limited budget since I've became disabled. Your story really helps me want to find a way to do my do my hubby. Merry Christmas and keep inspiring us.

John, I feel the same way. I looked for 60+ years for a hobby that would hold my attention and I found it in turning. My outlook on life has changed for the better. What a great therapist that lathe is.

Merry Christmas to you as well John! It was a pleasure to meet you briefly in Raleigh at the Symposium and a real treat to watch you demonstrate twice.
Obviously your work and giving spirit are greatly appreciated by the woodturning community as indicated by your standing room only demo on using the router in the lathe. My goal is to make a few hand mirrors as gifts for family members this year and thank you for the inspiration for that.
All the best in the coming year.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
John, I remember in 2007 when I bought my first lathe and was struggling with which end of the tool to hold. I was convinced there was not another lathe owner in all of West Tennessee. After struggling on my own for a while I discovered some of the woodturning forums. I made that comment on one of the forums and you responded with names and contact information of 6-8 West TN folks you had found in the AAW directory. I contacted all of them and invited them to my shop for a meeting. We decided that night to start West Tennessee Woodturners. We currently have over forty members and most of that original group are still members. I also still remember the times you made that long drive from Baxter to help us out.

On one of your trips we loaded your small car with so much rough sawn lumber that the tires were almost rubbing the frame. You were forced to leave the rear gate open to make extra room. I was concerned we had overdone it, but you assured me everything would be okay. I learned later that it was--- until you hit high speed on I-40 and the vacuum created by the open tailgate sucked up all the sawdust from that lumber and dispensed it through your car.

Happy New Year to you and all !!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That sawdust cloud was hilarious. I remember it well. It was like having your dust collector bag blow off in your face which also happened one winter. Had a huge cloud of dust and inward heating with a flame type kerosene heater. It's a miracle I'm still here. I probably could have said that many times in my life. I'm amazed ive.made it to 70.

Back