• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic B vs. C

I'm planning on a lathe upgrade and looking pretty closely at the Powermatic. Because I do almost exclusively bowls I'm leaning towards the 2020B, though would be open to the 3520C mostly because of the extra weight. Space is not a problem. What's the difference between the B and C versions? Does Powermatic have plans for a C version of the 2020?

Karl,

I don't have an answer for you (sorry), but I just wanted to say that I really liked the bowl in your profile picture. Nice job!

(Apologies for the off-topic post. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...)

-Dan

Thanks, Dan. That was actually my bowl #20 after turning for just a few weeks. Pretty ambitious, but it turned out quite well.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
A couple of differences that may be of interest to you depending on your turning style.

I like the redesign on the head stock. It gives working room on the head stock side of the lathe.
When I do NE bowl I do a finish pull cut with my left hand forward standing near the headstock because I can see the curve and surface of the bowl quite well. With the old style powermatic I would often have to stand near the rim and do the cut right hand forward where it is difficult to see the curve and nearly impossible to see the surface.

I like the banjo tool post lock is improved. They went back to the pinch nuts they used in the early 3520s.
The tool post lock is a real weak point on the A and B. If you watch in videos, I always give the locking handle a tap with the tool handle. This usually makes a positive lock in the tool post. A trick I learned from turning many years on a Woodfast. The down side of the pinch lock is that you have to open the lock another turn to improve the chances of sliding the next tool rest into the opening. The nuts easily slide in to block the opening. I think this is something you learn to deal with automatically if it is your own lathe.

also a much improved index system.

Did a demo last night on the 18” jet. That is a sweet machine. Well worth a look.
All the same design improvements.

Newer series inverter. Power disconnect switch. Acme threads on tailstock quill, about 1/2 the turns required. Closer to a standard configuration of motor. B has about 6" extended shaft and no commercial replacement is available.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
The 3520C also has the control box on a pendant, which thus can be removed from the headstock and stuck magnetically anywhere else on the lathe that is convenient (not an option on the B).

On the 35 vs 20 length beds, the headstock can slide so a 35 could be set up just like a 20.... (but with a heavy duty shelf on the "outboard" side...)

I think tapping the handle may no be too great as some of these are plastic so may not take that abuse.

As to changes on the other lathes they keep changes close to the vest till ready so as not to kill sales on the existing models.

I have a PM3520B and love it . There was a slight problem with the switch on the C being tapped by the cuts Al referred to but that has been fixed.

Gerald, I've tried to figure out what this means:

Any help?
My 3520C was one of the first ones built ... the start switch was susceptible to dust penetration and would fail to start after a few months of use. I could get to go by hitting it with 90psi of compressed air, and it would work for a while, then fail again. I called Powermatic's tech support, they shipped me a new switch that took about 15 minutes to install. Problem solved ... easy-peasy.

Back