• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Early Birthday

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday tooooooo meeee!!! After a talk with the house $$ manager, decided to order it this morning. My hatchday isn't until 23 April, but I love early gifts even though it's to myself.... LOL
This gives me some time to decide/order tools for it. A Tormeck T-8 is for sure, the rest, got a lot of reading to do. Nearest club is 4-5 hour drive from me. Might be possible to visit sometime this summer. I'm soooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!

*Powermatic 1353001 2 hp 220V 1PH 3520C Lathe with Risers*, from Amazon

Started a new thread, did not want/intend to hi-jack anothers post.

I have a strong son to help, just have to ply him with a BBQ dinner... LOL I also have a small Kobota tractor with loader I can use it in the garage if I watch my height, lots of jacks and other toys, er, tools. Now i just have to make room in my small shop, find a different place to park my Harley, move a bench or 2.... but I'll get it done.

Early birthday? Congrats. Mine have always been on the same day. Just think how old you would be if you were born in February 29th.

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday tooooooo meeee!!! After a talk with the house $$ manager, decided to order it this morning. My hatchday isn't until 23 April, but I love early gifts even though it's to myself.... LOL *Powermatic 1353001 2 hp 220V 1PH 3520C Lathe with Risers*, from Amazon
Congratulations John. You realize, of course, that with diesel jelling, the new lathe won't get delivered until the spring thaw, right around your birthday. (HeeHee, it's a North Dakota joke!)

You betchya! Delivery is sched. according to the e-mail I recieved to be sat more, 1 am.... good luck on that... LOL

Finally talked to the freight carrier, delivery day/time is straightened out. Going to be a loooooooooooooooooong week waiting.... LOL They are requesting final delivery truck to have a lift gate, sure hope that happens, I don't have a fork lift.

You could arrange to pick up the crate (lathe) at the freight depot facility if you have a pickup truck or trailer. The other option is have it delivered to a business or shop that has a fork lift or loading dock at their facility. They usually charge extra for a lift gate delivery.

I would pay extra for liftgate delivery, be less than my renting a fork-lift if needed. I do have a couple tractors with loaders I could possibly use but I'd rather not. I have a big trailer but, last fall, we got hit with a storm that damaged a lot of trees/bushes. I loaded the trailer up for a dump run and the next day, yea, could not believe it, but the next day we got hit with another storm. Right now, and until it melts, that trailer is covered/buried with snow/ice/tree debris. Probably won't see that trailer til around march/april. I could run into town and pick it up, I have a won ton dually that would carry it no problem. I'll talk to them when they call first of next week to set up delivery.

I went right to the terminal when my 584 lb. lathe came in. They loaded the crate into the back of my pickup with a forklift. When I got home, I just backed the truck up to the basement door. I opened the crate and took the parts out one heavy piece at a time. I did have the help of a strong friend. There's no way the delivery driver would have been able to back his truck around to my basement door. It worked out well and I didn't have to pay the liftgate fee or rent a forklift.

Enjoy the new lathe.

John,
In case you haven't heard about it, there is/was a web site devoted to Powermatics, called the Mustard Monster Web Site. One of the best parts was an essay on, "What to do when the lathe comes" by Kurt Bird. It's good advice and contained several suggestions that hadn't occurred to me. One of the best is "have a helper." Unfortunately, I ignored that one, and getting the headstock onto the bed was a long and difficult adventure worthy of Rube Goldberg.
The site is now here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UyscS8Zo3pUggyU8bMX4EpzZJnfaEkxEM6hVIyVJ4oc/edit

Now comes the really hard part. The 4 chisels came in, the lathe came in 2 days ahead of time. I'm here to tell ya, my little tractor/loader had a heck of a time! Truck driver refused to drive down my drive, don't blame him, I would not try it either. Met me at the end of the driveway, got it loaded into my truck and drove it to my garage. Next day, I opened crate and unloaded with the loader a piece at a time, got everything into the garage. I could not wait, went to work putting it together, sure thankful for my loader as I was by myself. Was fairly easy but slow going, got 'er put together and set where I want it. Now comes the hard part.... the wait! I can do the wiring myself, elec. is easy for me. BUT, I don't have the proper size/length to run where I need it too. Won't be going to town for a bit, OH THE WAIT!! Oh well, the Tormek has not even shipped yet so I suppose no real hurry, I could tell the chisels need touched up before using. :)
upload_2020-2-20_14-5-34.jpeg

Last edited:
Boy it sure looks sharp! I'm envious.
Did you get the bed leveled? It needs to be level back-front, left-right, and corner to corner. The last is often overlooked, but any twist in the bed can put strain on the cast iron ways.

I'll check it again with a 4' level before using, thanks for the suggestion. I did a quick check with a cheapo 12" just to get close. :)

Just got a notice, the T-8 has shipped... WOOHOO, now to just supply juice!
And get the 1st floor done so I can have some free time (per my war dept... LOL)

I learned the hard way, you want to cover that concrete floor with some kind of wood, and the wood with some kind of padding. A long day on concrete is like a long week walking on lava. Sore feet, ankles, knees, back, are not conducive to comfortable creation.

One more thing: add lights, lots of lights.

Make nice things for she, who must be kept happy!

Back