• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

On/off switch position

I have a Rikon 70-050VS lathe. When I put a piece on the lathe, I turn it on the lowest speed to check the balance. If it starts to wobble, I can shut off the lathe but the headstock is on the other end. I would prefer the switch to be near the headstock so I can shut it off and stop the spindle right away to prevent flying wood. It looks like the switch is held in place with a couple of screws. Might be able to move it. My son has access to the company machine shop and sheet metal fabrication. Maybe make a mount for the switch? Any and all suggestions are welcome. No, another lathe isn't in the budget; on the top 10 when I win the lottery.

You could try a foot switch like this: https://smile.amazon.com/MLCS-9080-..._5?keywords=foot+switch&qid=1583931603&sr=8-5

I have the reverse issue, my switch is on my headstock and I wish it was near the tailstock since I'm right handed and being on the tailstock would be closer to my right hand. A foot switch or another kind of extra switch could be a temporary fix and would be easier to add then re-fabbing one.

Thanks. I plan on looking at Lowe's and Ace Hardware to see what they have for starters. I'll ask my son to check with some of the EEs to see what they recommend as to specs.

I have had my controls on the headstock since before they started having all the controls on cords and magnets so you could put it any where you wanted. I have 2 lathes with those controls now, and I still keep it on the headstock. If some thing was to come off and I needed emergency shut down, if I have my switch on the right side, I have to switch my gouge or scraper to the other hand and then hit the off button. With it being on the headstock, I just reach with my left hand which is always free. The only time I had a bowl fall apart, every thing came completely off the lathe, and I was standing out of the line of fire. It might not make sense to some, but it works for me. I do have a Vic, and that off bar could come in handy because you don't need either hand...

robo hippy

Since it appears most concern about switch location has to do with shutting down in case of a problem, why not have a couple of switches in different locations wired so either one could shut the spindle off?

Since it appears most concern about switch location has to do with shutting down in case of a problem, why not have a couple of switches in different locations wired so either one could shut the spindle off?
I'm not real excited about running wires for a three-way system. I just want the switch near the headstock. If I need, I can reach up and slow/stop the headstock. I'll let me son look at it and make suggestions from the EEs at work.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
You could try a foot switch like this: https://smile.amazon.com/MLCS-9080-..._5?keywords=foot+switch&qid=1583931603&sr=8-5

I have the reverse issue, my switch is on my headstock and I wish it was near the tailstock since I'm right handed and being on the tailstock would be closer to my right hand. A foot switch or another kind of extra switch could be a temporary fix and would be easier to add then re-fabbing one.
I don't personally think a foot switch would be a good idea. I want both feet firmly on the floor when turning to maintain my balance.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Both of our ONEWAYs have the eye level switch on the swinging arm and a second switch with a magnetic base.

I like the pendant switch a lot. It is just so convenient to swing it from headstock side to tailstock side. I keep it in front of me where it is easy to work.
The magnetic box I position for a quick emergency stop.
After 20 years of practice with this I still put It where I can accidentally turn the lathe off with my hip about once a week. :-(

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Pictures of mine are here. http://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/shopnotes/RemoteSwitchPics.html

Also shown is where I made a cover for the headstock where I removed the controls. I put a toggle switch in the circuit so I could easily shut off the motor when indexing. This was just to prevent accidentally damaging the machine. The toggle switch acts just like the e-stop.

I didn’t show the bottom, but it has round magnets glued into place.

Kind regards,
Rich

Back