• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet lathe 1221 reverse

I was sanding a piece on my lathe last night and like I always do pushed the reverse button it hesitated for a split second then kept going forward. Now it will only run forward. I’ve read somewhere pushing the reverse button while going forward would not harm the motor or electronics. Anyone have this problem? Haven’t had time to take power box apart yet, hope fully this weekend. Thanks for any info.

Paul

So this morning I went down in the shop for a couple minutes just to get a dose of wood fiber, flipped the lathe in to reverse and turned the lathe on and it ran in reverse!! I must have tried a dozen times since it first happened and wouldn’t run in reverse now today it does! Still planning on taking box apart and clear out, check the switch contacts. So it’s a good day

Paul

You may have some dirty switch contacts, a little contact cleaner may do the trick.

That’s what I’m hoping all it is. Just don’t understand why it wouldn’t run in reverse for the two or three days that I tried. But I’m happy it is working, need to find some time to open it up and clean.

Paul

Exercising the switch numerous times will on occasion clean the switch contacts enough to get it to work, some contacts are made of metals that can oxidize over time or you possibly have carbon built up on the contact surfaces from fine wood dust finding their way into the switch enclosure. Wood dust is really fine particles almost like flour which can migrate into really small openings and crevices. Every time you turn a switch off and on an arc occurs between the line and load contact inside the switch assembly, this small arc consumes a small amount of metal and leaves a carbon residue behind, the better quality switches have a wiping function that cleans the contacts each time they are operated, the lower cost switches do not have this feature. Higher quality switches also use silver or gold alloys for the switch contacts that increase the life and reliability greatly.

Back