• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Question for the Pen Turners

In my weekly volunteer position I am working with 8th graders and we are currently making fountain pens for the 4th graders. The kits we are using have a long tube for the barrels and a short tube for the nibs. I had two kids working at their machines and I think we lost about half of the long barrels as they suddenly cracked off and the wood came off the tubes. At first I suspected that the kids that had glued the tubes with the epoxy didn't do a thorough job, then as I inspected more of the broken pieces some of them looked thoroughly coated.

My first question is: Should we have used CA glue?

Second question: Is it possible that too much tail stock pressure could cause it?

BTW, we are using a variety of wood species and there was no consistency as to the type.

I had this problem with several pens I turned. I don't know for sure what the real cause was, but I finally started turning only 1/2 of the pen at a time rather than mounting both pieces on the mandrel at the same time. It seems as if the blank toward the tailstock had just slightly more vibration than the blank on the headstock end and that this extra vibration may have been causing the splitting and breaking off of pieces of the blank.I can't tell for sure whether this was the cause but, since I've turned the parts of the pen one at a time, I have not had any further losses.

As for CA glue, that's what I use even though it appears that epoxy is recommended over CA glue.

I use CA exclusively for a finish on wood. I now turn one piece at a time so keep the mandrel from flexing too much. When I turned two pieces, I put a piece of masking tape that matched the pieces and their OAL.

Was there any wood fiber left on the epoxy? I would look at the hole in the blank. Dull drill bits would burnish the wood, maybe even glaze or burn it. Too fast of speed on the drill press won't help. Another thing to watch is too snug of fit on the brass and wiping most of the epoxy off. I used epoxy exclusively after sticking a couple of tubes when the CA kicked too fast. I would insert the tube with a twisting motion all the way through to distribute the epoxy.

Was there any wood fiber left on the epoxy? I would look at the hole in the blank. Dull drill bits would burnish the wood, maybe even glaze or burn it. Too fast of speed on the drill press won't help. Another thing to watch is too snug of fit on the brass and wiping most of the epoxy off. I used epoxy exclusively after sticking a couple of tubes when the CA kicked too fast. I would insert the tube with a twisting motion all the way through to distribute the epoxy.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I was not hovering and watching as the gluing team did their job (not going to happen next time).

Back