• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

14 Weeks Out

today from rotator cuff surgery and finally had enough gumption & energy to get back in the shop. Have a few sections of 8" - 10" cherry logs that I've never gotten to and that had split down the pith. Was a little leery of using it for turning but except for the split, was solid wood otherwise. Even though these pieces are 3 years old they were still slightly damp towards the center so I turned it to the standard 10%. Really didn't want to fuss sanding & finishing a once turned piece anyway, didn't want to push it. Had enough for the day with this one piece so I might get to the other half tomorrow. Think this piece will eventually turn out nice with all the gum streaks it contains. As an added note, if your doctor ever says you need cuff surgery, RUN FAR AND RUN FAST.
cherry 1.jpg cherry 2.jpg cherry 3.jpg cherry 4.jpg cherry 5.jpg

<As an added note, if your doctor ever says you need cuff surgery, RUN FAR AND RUN FAST.>

Growing up in Brooklyn NY I learned to run if any one with a sharp knife was around.

Stu

Had Rotatar Cuff surgery 12years ago no problems at all.100% use of arm which I didn't have before.
You just have to make sure you force to make sure it works.Can not agree to run fast and far unless it is to have it done.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Glad to see that you're back in the shop. If you need rotator cuff surgery then like it or not you need the surgery. I had my right shoulder done twice. Something ripped loose the first time. If you think that the rehab is rough, it's no better the second time. After finishing that I had back surgery and shortly after finishing rehab I had quad CABG. I just finished cardiac rehab. Getting old ain't for sissies.

I hear you Bill & Peter. Said the run far & fast in a little bit of tongue & cheek. Even though I needed the surgery and the doctor advised what laid ahead and I thought I understood what he was telling me...…..I never expected the amount of pain, discomfort and very short sleep cycles over the first 2 1/2 months that were to come. Still a good amount to go until full recovery, maybe 60% now. Just enough to putz around with some smaller 10 lbs. or so pieces.

Website
www.youtube.com
Good to hear that you are back in the shop. I had a rotator cuff and biceps repair 10 years ago. The first month was unpleasant, sleeping in a lawnchair in the living room, but I recovered most of the use of my arm . What I found really important was consistent daily exercise for the shoulders (I'm still continuing them, maybe less consisently). Frankly, it took me about 1 1/2 years of steady work to get back to full shoulder use (I do things like rock climbing, tree surgery with a chainsaw, etc.). Now at my age it would probably be a different story.
On that note, I would agree with Bill's remark...

Back