• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Small Hollowing Tools

Yesterday I was working at hollowing a small (4" diameter X 2 1/2" high) cherry burl with a 9/16" opening that I eventually ended up increasing to 1" because of the hollowing tools that I have. I can choose either my Sorby small hollowing set with the red handles, or the small John Jordan (3/8" diameter) bent hollowing tools. I know that many folks can work metal and make their own small bent hollowing tools, but I neither have the metal working tools nor the inclination to work with metal. So what is out there for me to choose from that folks have used and liked?

Biggest issue with small tools is the reach to make it thin. There is always the option of hollowing from the bottom. Part off a disc to latter turn and plug the bottom hole. Score a decorative line at the seam when you glue it back in and it will be invisible. I've turned 4" vessels that way with a 1/4" hole in the top. I quickly looked on Google, but didn't find a quality video of the technique. There are some videos, so you can get an idea how to do it.

There is a PSI small carbide hollowing tool set that I bought on amazon, I use it to make hollow ball christmas ornaments. I've been pretty happy with it. Generally I hollow through a 5/16 hole in those.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079KS919X/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_VCJDEbWQMKFKZ
Thanks for the info. I found a set on Amazon for $48 + $3 tax. They look perfect for the interior of small hollow forms and they have easily and fairly inexpensive replaceable carbide cutters

Back