• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is your shop at home?

• Total voters

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Every day is an excuse to be in the shop. Been retired 7 years and still work 1 day a week lately. This past week I got some drawer units and some other stuff from a closed drug store. That is the 6th drug store I have had the fortune to be available for the closing. Well I guess 50 years in the business helped. View attachment 32606
What a great set of drawers! I love to keep things away from the dust, organized... Why so many closed?

Some friends use Skype to keep in touch with family in Europe. Could that be used for multiple persons for things as board meetings?

What a great set of drawers! I love to keep things away from the dust, organized... Why so many closed?
I now have 8 sets of these in my shop . Plus 3 sets of smaller units by the lathe I built and then there are two small sets of mobile drawer units. A man can never have too many drawers but you do have to put some labels out after a reorganization or everything is lost.

My mini shop is at home as well, but I cannot call it isolation because I’ve been working from home for the past 15 years, the only difference is that I go grocery shopping twice a month instead of weekly.

My wife on the other hand is not used to it. We’re on day 6 and she is starting to get bored. She did her gardening thing, she even “swept” the entire backyard and front yard, reorganized rooms, etc. and soon will be out of things to do.

Emiliano, you’re doing a demo for our club next month! Looking forward for it!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My mini shop is at home as well, but I cannot call it isolation because I’ve been working from home for the past 15 years, the only difference is that I go grocery shopping twice a month instead of weekly.

My wife on the other hand is not used to it. We’re on day 6 and she is starting to get bored. She did her gardening thing, she even “swept” the entire backyard and front yard, reorganized rooms, etc. and soon will be out of things to do.

Emiliano, you’re doing a demo for our club next month! Looking forward for it!
Make sure you say hello!! It's going to be a fun one!!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Some friends use Skype to keep in touch with family in Europe. Could that be used for multiple persons for things as board meetings?
Most of us are using Zoom. Much easier to use and more stable according to the experts.

Myself and my three siblings and children used it this past Saturday just to get caught up with what is going on with everyone’s lives. Worked very good. Planning another one real soon.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Myself and my three siblings and children used it this past Saturday just to get caught up with what is going on with everyone’s lives. Worked very good. Planning another one real soon.

Same here.......My brother set up a Zoom meeting with family members........was very enjoyable to see and talk to one another. It's been more than a couple decades since I've seen or talked to some in my family! :D

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Another ZOOM issue: A vulnerability allows it to steal your windows login credentials...

https://betanews.com/2020/04/01/zoom-security-vulnerability-steal-windows-login-credentials/

Your use of "it" is misleading because at best it's vague, but the implication is that the software or Zoom is stealing the log in credentials. In actuality this would be the work of a hacker. It also seems to be an unusual situation where you would be clicking on a link from someone you don't know. I think that such a situation could be avoided by sticking to business while using Zoom and resist aimless surfing.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Your use of "it" is misleading because at best it's vague, but the implication is that the software or Zoom is stealing the log in credentials. In actuality this would be the work of a hacker. It also seems to be an unusual situation where you would be clicking on a link from someone you don't know. I think that such a situation could be avoided by sticking to business while using Zoom and resist aimless surfing.
I have the Zoom Pro Account. There was an update today, they fixed some of the vulnerabilities and safety issues. Do not publish your Zoom meeting id number on Facebook or Twitter, that was one of the problems. Set up a meeting with a unique number for each meeting.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Other important points for the host (account holder): turn off screen sharing for participants, turn off file sharing, use a unique meeting id and don't share it outside your club. And a bunch of other settings that are probably useless for a club meeting or demo. And assign a co-host (moderator) to watch for bad actors and ban them (among other things).

In actuality this would be the work of a hacker
And you might consider refunding club dues for these folks.

"It" is the common reference to the vulnerability. Unknown hacker is assumed.

Good info.
Dave, I see that you are involved with IT. I'm a retired Computer Messer-Upper. At least that is what a friend says.
Edit and adding- My wife said a church had choir practice. Why? Our church services are online for now. I was supposed to go fishing with my son tomorrow afternoon. Texted and said the governor issued a directive for people to stay at home.

Try it and see. Epoxy might be the best bet. TBIII, maybe. The only caution is if it comes apart on the lathe.

Back