• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA glue container

Hi have three bottles of CA glue: thin, medium, and thick. I use a technique that I may have got from Odie or Doc green, where I have a pipette ( basically a disposable eye dropper ) which I store in a bottle of acetate. I open up the CA glue suck some up, use it, spit it back then put pipette back in acetate.
Pretty awesome really. I'll look for the post after my q.
Problem is my CA bottle will not open. I have a pair of channel locks near by. I have a hand injury that is healing and the thing that aggravates it the most is trying to open these blasted bottles. I crush the top with the channel locks, I hammer the top all trying to break the seal. I twist like hell and the whole bottle twists like a towel. Eventually it gives.
Because I'm using the pipette I get very little or none of the glue on the threads on the outside. I've even tried making sure all is dry with paper towel and the next time it's stuck as hell again!
I kinda love CA but this makes me hate it. There must be something people use to keep their CA in that solves this problem.
Thanks

If you go onto the Starbond website, you will see the empty bottles and applicators. I've used one bottle for a number of years, opening (with no problem) and refilling repeatedly. The only thing I need to change on occasion is the micro applicator.

I don't really need the applicator part of the bottle. Maybe I could cut that off, creating an opening large enough for my pipette and plug it with idk maybe some cork. Then I would not even need to get the top off every time. Just need to get the cork or plug out each time. Maybe just shifting the problem.
Regardless, thanks for the tip. I'll get some if these empty bottles and experiment.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you have a shop or garage refrigerator keep your CA there. Also, I agree with Mr. Weingarden about the Starbond bottles. The bottles come with a supply of pipette like applicator tips. If the tip gets clogged you can either cut it shorter or just replace it. I never remove the tip unless it needs replacing. I just put the bottle in the refrigerator. If kept in the fridge, CA will last till the cows come home.

I think that your CA bottles may not have adequate seals.

I refrigerate my thick and black as well as the pint of thin. The user bottle of 2oz thin stays out with micro tip only on it . No top is needed and I live in humid Mississippi not 10 miles from the Pearl River. With the pipette I can see getting contamination in the bottle which can cause it to solidify.
By the way my last pint lasted over 3 years by keeping in the fridge but I have a friend who keeps his in freezer.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hi have three bottles of CA glue: thin, medium, and thick. I use a technique that I may have got from Odie or Doc green, where I have a pipette ( basically a disposable eye dropper ) which I store in a bottle of acetate. I open up the CA glue suck some up, use it, spit it back then put pipette back in acetate.
Pretty awesome really. I'll look for the post after my q.
Problem is my CA bottle will not open. I have a pair of channel locks near by. I have a hand injury that is healing and the thing that aggravates it the most is trying to open these blasted bottles. I crush the top with the channel locks, I hammer the top all trying to break the seal. I twist like hell and the whole bottle twists like a towel. Eventually it gives.
Because I'm using the pipette I get very little or none of the glue on the threads on the outside. I've even tried making sure all is dry with paper towel and the next time it's stuck as hell again!
I kinda love CA but this makes me hate it. There must be something people use to keep their CA in that solves this problem.
Thanks
The link takes me to a site where they sell CA. Do they sell the "pippetes" there. This is a great idea. Maybe @odie can help us if he knows where to buy some. I'm going to look in Amazon too, I can always sell some at club meetings if I have to buy too many.

Wipe the threads and nozzle of the container with acetone after using. Had the same problem with TB CA. Pliers to open the container no longer needed.

Try switching CA glue...I use GluBoost and never had a bottle top stick and I use the actual bottle to put it on pens...the top section will get a little glue on it but as soon as it dries it pops right off with your fingers...

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The link takes me to a site where they sell CA. Do they sell the "pippetes" there. This is a great idea. Maybe @odie can help us if he knows where to buy some. I'm going to look in Amazon too, I can always sell some at club meetings if I have to buy too many.

Hello Emiliano........:D

I don't think it was me Raif was thinking of......but, if you run some searches for "pipette", you might have more success in getting what you're looking for. :)

-----odie-----

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Try switching CA glue...I use GluBoost and never had a bottle top stick and I use the actual bottle to put it on pens...the top section will get a little glue on it but as soon as it dries it pops right off with your fingers...

I have been impressed with GLUBOOST. I’ve never had a cap stick either.

I do the same thing as Vicki mentions above. I put light oil on my threads and it never sticks. After 20 years of using ca glue, I only began doing it this year.

Back