• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

LAST TRY

THERE ARE A LOT OF THING THAT ARE UNCLEAR TO ME. TRYING EVERYONE AS A PARTICIPANT TO SEE IF IT WORKS DID NOT WORK. IF YOU NEED HELP AND YOU ARE NEW YOU CAN'T NAME A PARTICIPANT. I JUST FOUND CREATE THREAD AND WILL SEE IF THIS WORKS. IF NOT I WILL JUST BE HAPPY TO GET THE MAGAZINE FOR MY DUES AND FORGET THE FORUM.

I HAVE ASKED FOR HELP POSTING A PICTURE FOR GALLERY. NO HELP HAS COME. MAYBE THIS TIME. . I HAVE TRIED TO RESIZE THE PIC AS RULES SAY, BUT EVERY TIME IT IS RESIZED BY AAW IT CUTS THE TOP AND BOTTOM OFF THE PIC. MAYBE I AM JUST TO DUMB ABOUT PICTURES,

I have file explorer and can edit photos by clicking on the photo and going from there.

Your message count is at 1. Where did you ask for help? All caps is considered yelling on the computer. If you have a vision issue just switch to a larger font and not all caps.
Sorry about that. nothing was intended by caps. My first request for help was directly sent to Bill Boehme. Hopefully I spelled his last name correctly. should not have let my frustration show. Tried 4 times to download pic after resizing three different ways according to the rules. Every time the pic appeared cut off at top and bottom.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I am unfortunately computer illiterate for the most part so can't help with your question as far as helping you size the photo. However if you will send it to me I will size for you. I do have those skills.

If you are using Windows there is a super easy resizer that you can find by Goggling Windows Picture Resizer. Download and Run the .exe file. It has been around for years and works with Windows 7 or 10 and probably 8 if you among the unfortunate to have it. In File Explorer, you just right click on the file name and select Resize Pictures from the Pop Up. You can do a group if you highlight. I hold the Shift key and arrow down, a carry over from DOS Pre Mouse days. You will be given an option of Small, Medium or Large. Large usually ends up at 6-700 Kb which is fine for posting most places. Resulting quality is fine.

Perhaps it's not a size issue, but a shape issue. For some things on the AAW web site, pictures have to be square and if you submit a rectangle, the site will change it to a square.

Bill will see this posting any minute now and help you out. Hang in there, the cavalry is on the way.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Sorry about that. nothing was intended by caps. My first request for help was directly sent to Bill Boehme. Hopefully I spelled his last name correctly. should not have let my frustration show. Tried 4 times to download pic after resizing three different ways according to the rules. Every time the pic appeared cut off at top and bottom.

Your email to me was unclear and lacked sufficient information for me to understand what you needed. Also, while I try to answer questions on using the forum software, I am unable to provide tech support on how to use your computer because that would probably eat up most of my day. Sending me email is not a good way to contact me since I get so much junk email that most stuff goes to the spam folder. I have no idea what kind of computer or mobile device you might be using nor what apps you might have, but it appears that you might be cropping rather than resizing. The AAW doesn't edit your images. The forum software (Xenforo) will reduce the pixel dimensions of uploaded images that exceed 1920 pixels in either height or width, but it won't crop the image. Also, you need to make sure that the image you upload doesn't exceed the file size limit (1 MB for regular forum members or 2 MB for AAW members) or else it will automatically be rejected by the forum software.

If you look in Help and FAQs, there is one tutorial titled How to post images in the gallery and another titled Putting images in a post. For basic support on using the photo editing app on your computer you could try your computer manufacturer or the software vendor. There are many online forums dedicated to helping people with computer problems or more specifically photo editing questions. Additionally, you can ask for community support here (this thread). Forum members can relate their experiences with a variety of apps.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
By the words you are using I see that you are a bit confused when it comes to computers. You are trying to upload a picture to the Forum. You are not downloading it. Also, as someone already mentioned, writing in caps is not nice, Bill and I are not hard of hearing. Trying typing in YouTube, I'm guessing you know what that is, "How to resize a picture in my (insert here the type of device that you have) " You will get dozens of tutorials on how to do it. Other than emails, you can send us private messages through the Inbox option here on the Forum. Like Bill said, we could not possible help each individual with so many different platforms available. There are lots of available online computer courses, I took one a few years ago on website-building. I hope that you can figure it out and remain here. Best of luck. Aloha

Microsoft Paint program has a resizing function, most images resized to 50% will usually work for this site. Open the picture image in the paint program and select the resize function in the function tab on top of the page, select 50% or the value you wish to resize and enter, then save the resized image to nay name you want. Upload the new resized image to the website. A Jpg. image is the most universal image accepted, other image formats may not work.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thank you everyone who responded. My picture is not square and that may well be the problem. I appreciate all our help.

It sounds like perhaps you are saying that you are wanting to upload an image to the Maker Space on the AAW main site.If that is the case, the AAW website isn't very user friendly at this point, but hopefully that will be changing.

Over here on the forum, there isn't any requirement for a square image except for avatars which must be 192 px 192 px or larger square image.

Back